To Follow the Moon-Original

Johnbee58

Produced in CbB but added a few new instruments from the Reason Rack, primarily the first sound you hear which is called "Struck Grand Piano" from the Pangia World Instruments module.  My attempt at a story.  Inspired by Christopher Cross (Ride Like the Wind) and Steely Dan (Don't Take Me Alive).

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14451566

🙂John B

• Like 3

5 hours ago, STEVE POOLE said:

Gonna buy me some ezkeys ...wow that piano playing is dope ... good stuff John

Steve

@KSband & @STEVE POOLE Thanks guys!  Yes EZ Keys is a terrific program and very fun just to play around with.  I highly recommend it.  The only problem I have with it is it's over 10 years old and is still on version 1. 😠

😀John B

Interesting project John - had the feel of an old-school prog rock epic - nice use of silence too and a good mix.

I have a feeling EzKeys 2 will land at some point later this year, now they've done the update to EzD3. I hope so anyway, I need a scalable GUI!!

Good job on this

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 9:56 AM, AndyB01 said:

Interesting project John - had the feel of an old-school prog rock epic - nice use of silence too and a good mix.

I have a feeling EzKeys 2 will land at some point later this year, now they've done the update to EzD3. I hope so anyway, I need a scalable GUI!!

Good job on this

Andy

Thanks for listening and you kind comment @AndyB01.  And I hope you're right about EZK2.  That would be nice.

😀John B

Well done John ! . . . it does unfold a story most effectively, and the detuned piano helps portray a life out of tune.  I did find your voice a bit too friendly for this desperado character you introduced, as you tell it from a first person point of view. They haven't made a plugin for that (yet), but maybe early morning vocal recording after lots of whiskey or yelling the night before ?

I listened once on headphones, and then on bigger speakers. You might add some low sustained synth bass after the first stanza, and again around 2:44, really helps build tension. Love that big piano chord you strike at :50 sec. . . . let's you know a change is coming. There is so much great work done on those drums, and that really supports the ever changing flow of the composition.

I puzzled at the spoken lyric you interjected near the end "(Really. Which is worse?)" . . . unexpected comedy amongst the drama ? . . . maybe it's intended, but certainly takes you outside the story for that moment.

Lots of interesting sections, journeys in the storyline, and your piano playing and chords are always interesting to my ear, especially the outro / end part.

Great piece John.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:30 PM, noynekker said:

Well done John ! . . . it does unfold a story most effectively, and the detuned piano helps portray a life out of tune.  I did find your voice a bit too friendly for this desperado character you introduced, as you tell it from a first person point of view. They haven't made a plugin for that (yet), but maybe early morning vocal recording after lots of whiskey or yelling the night before ?

I listened once on headphones, and then on bigger speakers. You might add some low sustained synth bass after the first stanza, and again around 2:44, really helps build tension. Love that big piano chord you strike at :50 sec. . . . let's you know a change is coming. There is so much great work done on those drums, and that really supports the ever changing flow of the composition.

I puzzled at the spoken lyric you interjected near the end "(Really. Which is worse?)" . . . unexpected comedy amongst the drama ? . . . maybe it's intended, but certainly takes you outside the story for that moment.

Lots of interesting sections, journeys in the storyline, and your piano playing and chords are always interesting to my ear, especially the outro / end part.

Great piece John.

@noynekkerThanks, noy! 😃

Most of that vocal was recorded wayyyy early in the morning.  My studio is situated to allow me to record at all hours without disturbing anybody else's sleep in the house.  Most of it was recorded between 6 & 7 AM.  The pollen around here has been disturbing my vocal cords of late.  That's audible here, but  I didn't want to have to wait until the Fall to lay this down.

I like your suggestion on the synth bass between the verses.  Something I'll consider playing around with.  Thanks.

The protagonist is wondering if spending the rest of his days in jail would be worse than hanging and "just getting it over with".

Thanks again!

😃John B

Edited by Johnbee58

5 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

This is a top-notch song John - nicely done.  As others have mentioned, EZKeys sounded really good to my ears. As Andy mentioned above, I thought it had a bit of a progressive rock vibe as well.

The mix overall works for me - good job.

Thanks for giving it a listen, @Douglas Kirby

😀John B 

Edited by Johnbee58

Hi, @Johnbee58! Thanks for sharing, it's a nice work!
* I've been doing some simple mixes when recording 2 or 3 tracks so when I listen to songs on this subforum I really enjoy it!

Also after a second hearing this song reminded me some Pink Floyd music, like A saucerful of secrets album.
And the song When the muses call is nice too! Congrats!

Best regards,

• Thanks 1