Waves V 14

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just updated a few of my Waves Plugins to Version 14, and they won't open in CWbBL.  All my earlier version plugins still seem to work fine. 

If I try to open a project that was using an earlier version of the plugin, I get a "Missing Plug-Ins" message from CW.  ie...("The following plug-ins are referred to by this project, but could not be found")

If I try to load a version 14 plug-in to a new project, I get the "The following VST plug-in failed to load" message.

Is this a CWbB problem, or should I be calling Waves Support?

It was a long day yesterday, I must have been running on low brain power when I updated those plugs last night lol.  This morning I woke up and realized that a few months ago I had changed the auto VST startup scan in CWbB, and I had set it to manual scan instead.  I haven't needed to update any of my plugs since then and so I had forgotten about changing that setting.  I ran the VST scan manually,  and it picked up the updated plugs.  All set now, thank you for the reply Max!   Waves creates a separate folder for each version of their plugins, so the version 14 plugins folder was new and just needed to be scanned in.

If you just upgraded your comp and kept the same hard drive with all your data on it, then maybe just try having Cakewalk re-scan all your VSTs. This can be located in the Utilities menu/Plugin Mgr.

If you have a new comp (including a new hard drive) then you'll likely have to go to Waves and download and install all your Waves plugins over again.   Waves has a plugin manager tool that simplifies the process.  I think it's called Waves Central.  You can find it on their website.

7 minutes ago, musikman1 said:

If you just upgraded your comp and kept the same hard drive with all your data on it, then maybe just try having Cakewalk re-scan all your VSTs. This can be located in the Utilities menu/Plugin Mgr.

Ever since the introduction of Preferences > File > VST Settings decades ago in SONAR and continuing through CbB, the recommendation from the developers has been to perform all VST scanning operations from Preferences and not from the plug-in manager. The ability to scan from the plug-in manager is provided for backward compatibility and does not take advantage of some of the advanced features offered in Preferences.

The hard drive will have a folder \waves somewhere. This Is where licenses are stored, unless you have iLok. If the folder is not there,  it will cause you to get re-authorized on that computer. That  can be a pain!

I’ve always wondered why no one ever  changed the code to used the function() from the preferences?? They might just be waiting to do a total rewrite. 

• 3 months later...

I just got some new Waves audio V14 plugin to use them on Cakewalk V2023.09 build 075.

The problem is that they are not getting loaded into Cakewalk and I get no error code(s).

I contacted Waves support to no avail, they could not help me with this issue.

Their recommendation is to re-install Cakewalk with V2022 because they said its what they tested with so far and don't yet support the latest version of Cakewalk.

Any ideas? Should I try using Waves plugins lower than V14 and see if they load ok?

I am sure there are many people that have some waves V14 running on their systems. 

Make sure you have a WaveShell1-VST*****.dll (or .vst3) in one of your VST search paths.

I don't have any V14 plugins but I have the WaveShell1-VST dlls in my VstPlugins folder and VST3 search folder and those that I own show up.