The show must go on

bitflipper

I found this inspirational. One of my favorite bands.

In 2012 their singer got sick and the show was about to be cancelled, with a packed house already waiting. They came out and asked the audience if it would be OK to muddle through the show anyway. Singers from the supporting acts printed out lyric sheets and bravely gave it their best shot. Real pros, every one of them. These aren't easy songs to sing.

I know I wouldn't have asked for my money back.

https://youtu.be/zH33rNy33iU

(Sorry, got a message that embedding this video was prohibited)

• Like 1

That's what true musicians are all about....the show must go on!!

IIRC Dave, you posted something on Nightwish in the old forums about 5 years back and I was very impressed with them.....been a fan ever since.

Here's a live version Ghost Love Score

Edited by Mesh

Thanks for sharing this. I still regret cancelling a show because the club wouldn't let our underage background singer in. I was standing up for my band instead of standing up for our audience. I lost sight of the show must go on mantra. That was over 30 years ago.

Nightwish is pretty rad. Back when I worked at the Starbucks corp office I used to come blasting that very album into the parking lot in the morning w/ the windows down lol. They did a pretty dope cover of Floyd's High Hopes, which when I heard it I was both ecstatic and let down.. let down because a long time ago I had planned to cover that song and when I heard their version, that's pretty much how I would have done it, more or less 😞

They are the apex of the genre, no doubt. I like the old stuff best, with the original vocalist - maybe she was a notorious b*tch she could belt like no other and had a huge stage presence. Although the current gal certainly holds her own. I really regret missing them when they were in Seattle, back when they were still playing 1,000-seat rooms.

THE SHOW MUST GO ON

I've been making a living gigging since 1964 - I have never-ever missed a gig.

I played with a fever of 104 once, I loaded my system with activated charcoal to keep my bowels from running, and no matter what the ailment, I made the gig.

When my father died, my mother checked my gigging schedule before deciding on what day to make the funeral, as she knew I would have chosen the gig, and she understood why.

No matter what the gig is, somebody is depending on you. Employees, patrons, promoters, managers, and so on. Sometimes a lot of other people would be out of money they need to make ends meet if you don't show up. A bartender or waiter/waitress making no tips for the night, an owner not selling enough food or booze for the night and so on. And the audience has made plans for the night. If you can cover it up, don't let them know you are sick. If you can't (voice troubles) let them know and tell them you will do the best you can. They will be with you.

Since 1985 I've been in a duo. We both sing and play. Since that day there have been 2 days she couldn't sing so I did all the songs, and one day I couldn't sing and she sang all the songs. Other times we balanced the load according to our abilities.

But we take care of ourselves and usually go at least 5 years between either one of us catching a cold. I think the fact that your subconscious knows you are going to work anyway makes it fight harder.

When I die I plan to give 2 months notice and train my replacement :D

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 2

There's been a couple of times decades ago when I couldn't make a gig. On both occasions I made sure I had a replacement act available, and let the venue know. 

One of the times they took me up on the offer, and the gig went well. The other time (different venue), they took the opportunity to save having to pay entertainment for the night - but they did appreciate me organising backup.

I've only missed one gig, back in 1976. That time I was so sick with the flu that I couldn't stand. Luckily, it was a trio with three singers. I only sang half the songs so the other two singers were able to manage without me. The guitarist was inspired by that gig to go solo, and he's been primarily a solo act ever since.

A deserving nominee for the Show Must Go On award is Dave Grohl, who broke his leg during a performance and still managed to finish the gig. He did, however, wimp out and cancel the next night's performance.