The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine man cover

The DuoBros

Hello, i made cover of Byrds version of song Mr.Tambourine man.

I will post two versions the differences are in panning instruments

I use virtual drums and bass and for 12 string part i duplicate guitar track and transpose +12 because i dont have 12 string Rickenbacker :)

Hope you will enjoy!

Have a nice day everybody!

Edited by The DuoBros
add 3 revision of the song
  • Like 2

Definitely prefer mix 1. Steve is right, those harmonies aren't quite right in volume - mix 1 is better. I think the original might have had more than a two-part harmony but I'd have to have another listen.

Your faux 12-string is not half bad. I'm interested to know you did that - just a simple dup track and octave transpose of all six strings?

Last time I did it I used Melodyne on a dup track and then removed all the very high notes to try and get closer to a real 12 string then created a separate dup track of the B and E string notes. Not sure it really worked though, as it's hard to isolate notes played on B And E as you want to duplicate rather than octave them.

I guess the simplest answer is to buy a 12 string. 😂

Overall, good job but you might want to check the BGV levels.

Andy

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Definitely prefer mix 1. Steve is right, those harmonies aren't quite right in volume - mix 1 is better. I think the original might have had more than a two-part harmony but I'd have to have another listen.

Your faux 12-string is not half bad. I'm interested to know you did that - just a simple dup track and octave transpose of all six strings?

Last time I did it I used Melodyne on a dup track and then removed all the very high notes to try and get closer to a real 12 string then created a separate dup track of the B and E string notes. Not sure it really worked though, as it's hard to isolate notes played on B And E as you want to duplicate rather than octave them.

I guess the simplest answer is to buy a 12 string. 😂

Overall, good job but you might want to check the BGV levels.

Andy

For 12 string emulation yes i simple dup track and +12 transpose all six strings....and yes it is easier to buy a 12 string guitar :) 

For harmonies i think there are three harmonies I can't decode the third that connects the vocals so i record only two :)

It seems like a simple song but it’s not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is nice.  I like full cover better than version 3.  Very, very creative how you made your own Rickenbaker 360-12 electric 12 string.  The result is impressive.  I'm sure it was a bit of work but the results speak for themself.

Should you decide you want to use 12 string more often you might want to use a 12 string plugin like OrangTree's Rick 12 or Music Lab's Real Rick.  I should note Music Lab's Real Rick includes both six and 12 string 360 guitars, has been updated to version 5 and costs much less than the OrangeTree instrument.   If an acoustic 12 string interests you, take a look at AmpleSound's AG12

Fantastic choice! Well done, I thought the vocals just needed some delay or reverb, then I heard version 3, got it. I'd vote for a bit more reverb, have you tried a plate? It might smear those vocals into 60's shiny aluminum goodness!

I think a spot of de-essing might ssssuit the vocals as well, just a couple of spits really, shouldn't need much at all.

I really enjoyed this, thanks!

cheers,

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I to prefer version 3.  The mix sound good to me.  The bass panned left sounded a bit strong to me but that could well be my audio interface.  It has been giving me a bit of trouble recently.  You have done a good job on capturing the sound and feel of the original.