Sonivox Filmscore Companion

cclarry

I'd be a bit wary of this particular package - the Orchestral Companion libraries have some nicely recorded samples but are quite dated in terms of interface and playability; and the Big Bang Cinematic Percussion has an issue with it's GUI that causes it to regularly crash for most folks. The GUI bug was acknowledged by Sonivox over three years ago, but was never fixed. Which is a shame -- there are some nice samples in the Big Bang Percussion. There is a workaround (enable Midi Learn Button), but it has never worked for me...

1 hour ago, Amicus717 said:

The GUI bug was acknowledged by Sonivox over three years ago, but was never fixed. Which is a shame -- there are some nice samples in the Big Bang Percussion. There is a workaround (enable Midi Learn Button), but it has never worked for me...

Agreed on the GUI bug with Big Bang Cinematic Percussion, that is a legit issue that has never been resolved.

Regarding those nice samples in Cinematic Percussion, they are not locked or encrypted. So you can load those into any drum sample player to form your own custom kit, and avoid the GUI issue... ;)

4 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

the Big Bang Cinematic Percussion has an issue with it's GUI that causes it to regularly crash for most folks...

is it happening at a regular case (always same move, click etc.) or just at random?

48 minutes ago, chris.r said:

is it happening at a regular case (always same move, click etc.) or just at random?

For me, it happens within a few minutes of opening up the GUI and playing. Doesn't seem to be tied to any specific action beyond simply playing. BB crashes 100% of the time without fail, within a minute or two of launch. I have literally never had it open longer than, say, 3 mins.

It's a common problem, happens on both Macs and PC, and  the "Learn" button workaround is effective for some but not all. Another dude on the Sonivox forums came up with the idea of copying the Midi Learn file to the desktop on his Mac, and it seemed to stop the problem for him. Not sure why that would matter, but it apparently works for some Mac users.

The company acknowledged that there was an issue on their support forum, and said it would be referred to their dev team.  That was three years ago. Nothing since then. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

It is consistently reproducible. It has been acknowledged by the SONiVOX team as a bug.

Just insert BB, load a preset, and play a note from your controller. Kaboom!!!

It was also observed that activating the MIDI learn button in the BB GUI with  your mouse before triggering any MIDI notes also prevented that crash.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Bummer. Thanks guys. Do you have any favorites for that 'trailer' soundtrack drums instead?

I have EastWest's Stormdrum 2 and the percussion section of Albion ONE at my disposal, if I'm looking for that sort of trailer drum sound. Those would be my first choices, and they'd do everything you need.

I also own IK Multimedia Cinematic Percussion, Action Strikes, 8Dio's Epic Taiko and Epic Dhol libraries, and Drums of the Deep by Auddict. Any or all of those would do the job pretty well, also. I probably have more libraries like that, but I can't recall off the top of my head which ones.

I hear good things about Strezov's Thunder X3M. I have the freebie version they gave away last year, and its got some nice stuff in it. There is also Drums of War 1 & 2 by Cinesamples. There is a ton of other libraries out there, too. Cinematic percussion of that sort has been in vogue for a while, I think.

The big issue for me with all SONiVOX offers is that the prices are in constant flux.  I bought the Strings for $1 and the Woods and Brass for $4.99 each. Those are amazing deals, particularly the Woods.    I paid around $15 for the Big Bang, but I don't know if that's the lowest price it's ever been.  

I use the workaround in Big Bang in Cubase and it works every time.   I think it's worth $10 or $15, but it is not on the same level with more recent libraries, that often go on sale for lower cheaper than the list SONiVOX prices.  

When you buy from them you are buying abandonware. They don't fix things that they know are wrong.  The good news is that they practically give their stuff away to the kind of people who follow forums like these.  I think it's unethical that they sell Big Bang for $50 to $100 knowing that it does not work.   Either stop selling it at list price until you fix it or sell it all the time for peanuts with a clear warning about the bug, and which DAWs work with it.  

It makes me suspicious about the entire brand, even though I own and like a lot of their products.   They are owned by the same company as AIR,  which has the same pricing policies.  

Edited by Tiger The Frog
  • Like 1

I bought the whole Sonivox Premier Collection Upgrade a while back from plugin boutique for about £44 when it was on sale.  I've not had any crashes that have been mentioned in the thread.

The only issues I had was with Wobble and Twist2, I wasn't able to authorize them with iLok originally. Had to contact iLok to reset my account, they registered fine after that.