Audiothing Wires Now Supports CLAP

cclarry

6 hours ago, Last Call said:

I never quoted you (on this thread at least), till now! 😁

I agree that probably isn't the best name, but beats VST by a mile. 

But CLAP is musical, I don't know why you (general you, not you MM) don't see that.

Haha... I wasn't sure if you were referring to my post or not, as you added a reaction and then posted, so I did think it could go either way.. but I was just having a laugh and being cheeky anyway! 🤣

It's funny you mention VST. I actually like that! It also captures the essence of what it originally was quite well "Virtual Studio Technology". But I'm also mindful that it's been around so long, that it's very familiar and that could bias my thoughts on it a little.

To include something about it being an open standard, or cross platform to me would be better than "Clever Little Audio Plugin". Even CLP is a slight improvement, but I still don't really like that.

Pavlov's comments are on point though. Branding can play a big part and a great name for it should resonate with the most amount of people possible.

It's going to be a hard sell for Steinberg and Avid in particular as it is. Let alone their marketing departments are probably going to cringe when they tell them they want to give their DAWs the CLAP! 🤣

VST is short and catchy and lends itself well to versions. CLAP3 if it gets there just sounds a little odd in my opinion!

But then again, maybe their only intent was to give it a CRAP name to get people talking and raise awareness 😎

Perhaps it’s my age (I turn 53 next month) but the first thing I thought of when I read CLAP was the STD. I think the problem is made worse by having it in all caps. 

I have a software company and I can tell you it’s hard to please everyone. That said I think this was a terrible naming idea and it will have a negative effect. Not saying it will kill it but why would you want to start your launch with ANY sort of handicap?

Wven one you can cure with a shot? Lol ok I had to go there. 

still - less than optimal name. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, PavlovsCat said:

"The Clap" is another name for gonorrhea.  It is a fantastically poor name choice. Pro tip, try naming a standard after something  that isn't an STD. 

Ah yes I thought so. Well it seems a lot of folk here think this is an issue. And although I agree that starting with such a name is not the best of starts, I would like to comment with the following:

americanproblem.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 12:09 AM, Max Arwood said:

Since we are already off the subject - Me - I got to look up and google everything. So google CLAPS plugin format lead me to "Hand Clap Studio" and this ->

A little over 1/2 way through - when the Surge XT plays there are a couple of fantastic patches that play!!  I have looked everywhere to find them.  I saw "Filtered Saw" on the patch name.  I have downloaded all the surge presets I could find. Stayed up all night auditioning them.  Anyone got any ideas besides taking lessons on Surge  XT ?

TIA

Oh ha yeah that’s a little patch I made just for the video. It’s on my laptop somewhere but it really was just the modern saw into the obxd 24 low pass with a touch of the ojd waveshaper and a bit of airwindows galactic reverb on a send. Then make the lfo 1 attach to the pitch and voila. The bitwig modulation makes it sound lovely too!

Im glad you enjoy surge! surge plus clap plus bitwig modulators is a bucket of fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1