Audiothing Wires Now Supports CLAP

cclarry

AudioThing Wires is a popular tape machine-emulation software developed in collaboration with German composer and Youtuber Hainbach. It now supports CLAP, a new open source plugin standard which we just announced — and today we're throwing a housewarming party to celebrate! For a very limited time, you can purchase Wires at a discount from the Bitwig webshop.

$35

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/wires/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

The name really doesn't make any difference... But calling it CLAP is quite possibly one of the worst names I've heard in a long time 🤣

I don't know, for native English speakers maybe? I've heard it's some slang. I agree it's not a very catchy or sexy name for a plugin format, but also not that bad. 

1 hour ago, Nick Blanc said:

I don't know, for native English speakers maybe? I've heard it's some slang. I agree it's not a very catchy or sexy name for a plugin format, but also not that bad. 

"The Clap" is another name for gonorrhea.  It is a fantastically poor name choice. Pro tip, try naming a standard after something  that isn't an STD. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

It's not a bad choice for a name at all. If you have an std I am sorry for you, hahaha.

When you go to a concert or see a comedian, if you like it you CLAP.

Clapping s so rooted to the music world. Hey, I clap if my daughter gets straight A's.

If the word has such a derogatory meaning in your mind you have issues...

Just now, Last Call said:

It's not a bad choice for a name at all. If you have an std I am sorry for you, hahaha.

Clapping s so rooted to the music world. Hey, I clap if my daughter gets straight A's.

I think you might be projecting there 😜 Haha..

I never said I related the name to an STD, I just don't think it sounds good.

I would like to think they could come up with something better, more catchy and recognisable to what it's about.

The fact that it translates to Gonorrhea is just another sign it didn't hit the mark as well as it could've!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Last Call said:

Product naming is actually a pretty big deal even if you don't realize it and project your thinking unto the entire population (technically,  this is called "fallacy of composition").  Look up a case study on the Ford Pinto marketing in Brazil for an epic lesson on why fallacy of composition thinking  by those responsible for brand/product names is so dangerous in the world of brand/product names. (Spoiler: Pinto is slang in Brazil for a tiny part of the male anatomy. Consequently,  the Pinto was extremely unsuccessful in Brazil ) 

EDIT: I  modified the above text after Kevin H. pointed out that it was Portuguese, not Spanish (it was actually in Brazil, I didnt remember that). He was right.   I looked it up-- I read the Ford Pinto case study many years ago when I was in college. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

4 hours ago, MusicMan said:

they could come up with something better, more catchy and recognisable to what it's about.

Yes.

Something like "Open Source Plugin Language"  (or OSPL) ain't that good!! But it's better than CLAP!! 

• Like 1

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

yeah... CLAP is a word to describe hitting your hands together to make a sound; it sounds vaguely like another word that means rubbish; and it's used in slang for  a variety of things including unpleasant diseases. And probably other things too.

You could probably make some connection between VST being a combination of VD and STD; or ASIO being pronounced very similarly to a phrase meaning a particular bodily orifice/contemptable person - potentially even worse when you append the word driver to it.

Personally, I don't care what it called: if it's good and gains widespread adoption, its name alone isn't going to make me think twice about using it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I never said I related the name to an STD, I just don't think it sounds good.

I never quoted you (on this thread at least), till now! 😁

I agree that probably isn't the best name, but beats VST by a mile. 

But CLAP is musical, I don't know why you (general you, not you MM) don't see that.

Since we are already off the subject - Me - I got to look up and google everything. So google CLAPS plugin format lead me to "Hand Clap Studio" and this ->

A little over 1/2 way through - when the Surge XT plays there are a couple of fantastic patches that play!!  I have looked everywhere to find them.  I saw "Filtered Saw" on the patch name.  I have downloaded all the surge presets I could find. Stayed up all night auditioning them.  Anyone got any ideas besides taking lessons on Surge  XT ?

TIA

Edited by Max Arwood