MPC Key 61 (not a deal yet)

Lemar Sain

42 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

Kinda. The extra software is not included with MPC software. It also has a built in audio interface. With that said, the extra software is good but not great. You are paying for the integration.  Imo this is good for people who:

1) have few vsts

2) lack a controller keyboard

3) really love mpc sequencer and workflow

4) really prefer hardware but want some benefits of computer based production

5) don't already own and MPC One or Live

This is probably not so good for people who have some or all of the following:

1) Own a recent MPC

2) Own a solid keyboard controller

3) have a solid collection of virtual instruments

4) Have no need of a hardware sampler

I think it's best to think of this as a workstation along the lines of a Fantom or Motiff with lesser synth abilities but with arguably better sequencer,accompanying DAW and superior sampling capabilities. Better yet, think of it as a modern ASR10 without the same filters and more plasticky. 

Still, I don’t get how it stacks up to the Yamaha MODX 6 at $1100. Or the new Fantom-06 for that matter.  Those do much more for almost half the price. 

• Like 1

A lot of people have been asking NI to do something like this, and I'm pretty sure such a hypothetical product would end up with a similar price.
So there's definitely a market for this kind of keyboard. It's unlikely AKAI is aiming this at the hobbyist segment.

Other "similar" (I use the term loosely) modern arranger keyboards, that feature full color LCD screens with on-screen arrangers, seem to be priced about the same.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/cat_GK_takybp.html?oa=pra
https://www.sweetwater.com/c512--Keyboard_Workstations?all&sb=low2high

Edited by Cristian

Still don’t get it. 
Yamaha’s MODX 6 and Fantom 06 have many more features and better sounds, but cost much less. And then there’s the Korg Nautilus, which is a Kronos in disguise. 
IMO the Akai should be around $1200 max. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Still don’t get it. 
Yamaha’s MODX 6 and Fantom 06 have many more features and better sounds, but cost much less. And then there’s the Korg Nautilus, which is a Kronos in disguise. 
IMO the Akai should be around $1200 max. 

Yeah, I don't see it generating enough sales to be around for long. Too niche, too limited and too expensive. 

Show me something with more keys/controls and the ability to load up 3rd party synths so that I could more or less make it like a hardware version of Omnisphere or something then that would be a much more interesting proposition.

18 hours ago, Fleer said:

Still, I don’t get how it stacks up to the Yamaha MODX 6 at $1100. Or the new Fantom-06 for that matter.  Those do much more for almost half the price. 

Again, that's kinda true and not true at the same time. For sample based production both are not very good.  The sequencers on both work in a pinch but anyone used to a DAW will be frustrated. The sampling is even more frustrating.   I don't think their market is synth players looking for a replacement for either of those products. If you need a synth based workstation both are obviously better choices with better sounds and build. This product fills a different niche. It is centered around sampling but has more powerful synth capabilities than the keyboard samplers of the past.  A better comparison price wise is buying either of those products PLUS either a Maschine MK3 or an MPC One or live since the customer this seems to be targeting would likely want the power of a dedicated sampler.  I think people who are primarily keyboard players should take a hard pass.

• Like 2

Considering the MPCX is still highly regarded and costs $3000 with less ability and no keyboard, the price is not as bad. Sample based artists have always had the following traits:

1) Willingness to pay crazy prices ( from the fairlight to the original MPC to the SP1200, all were crazy priced). 

2) Prone to copying whatever big name producers are using. In 90s hip-hop Akai and Emu absolutely owned hip-hop despite there being other options. A few exceptions like RZA used ASR10 but definitely was an exception.  In hip-hop, among hardware users MPC and Maschine dominate when it comes to sampling.  Almost any big name in hip-hop that doesn't use one of those two for sampling is typically using software sampling instead.

46 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Don’t. Push. Me. Cause. I’m. Close. To. The. Edge :)

I can't justify it, but i can see a person who is looking to get into mpc style production and liking the idea of working completely without computers biting. I suspect you may be in a similar boat. You likely have multiple controllers, virtual instruments superior to the suite offered and some form of sampler. I have MPC software already and even id I didn't MPC Beats offers the sampler aspect for free.

Yeah, it’s the idea of a different workflow and easier sampling that interests me. Never had an MPC as I’m not into EDM and the like but I guess a change of scenery can’t hurt. The main thing keeping me on the fence is the somewhat dubious quality of AIR plugins.