MPC Key 61 (not a deal yet)

Lemar Sain

11 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

i think this is  a cool idea. go daw less !!

True if playing on-stage but for us home-warriors I think the controller - DAW approach works better.  For that money I would rather put it towards a $$$ digital stage piano.  YMMV :D

39 minutes ago, DanH002 said:

Now I don't regret the Arturia KeyLab 61 I just got...

The KeyLab 61 is worth every penny! :)

I bought the Alesis VX49 version of the AKAI Advance a few years ago (the one that was AKAI VIP integrated), and AKAI seems to have end-of-lifed the VIP keyboards and software.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, abacab said:

The KeyLab 61 is worth every penny! :)

I bought the Alesis VX49 version of the AKAI Advance a few years ago (the one that was AKAI VIP integrated), and AKAI seems to have end-of-lifed the VIP keyboards and software.

I still have the AKAI Advance 25. VIP sounded like a good idea, but yeah, it didn't last long. Still a nice keyboard, though.

• Like 1

I watched Scott Storch’s demo of this keyboard.  He dropped so many names in such a short amount of time that I lost track of what the video was about haha

One thing I noticed that I saw couple other people commented as well was that there seems to be a lag when using the built in screen.  Maybe they’ll address this later.  KK for me has been pretty responsive.  I sometimes wish it was touch screen but if it makes it too expensive or hard to use because screen is small, I rather stick with knobs.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:18 AM, abacab said:

$1,899 at Guitar Center https://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Professional/MPC-Key-61-Production-Synthesizer-1500000377153.gc

Cheaper to build a very strong PC and add just add MPC software... :)

Kinda. The extra software is not included with MPC software. It also has a built in audio interface. With that said, the extra software is good but not great. You are paying for the integration.  Imo this is good for people who:

1) have few vsts

2) lack a controller keyboard

3) really love mpc sequencer and workflow

4) really prefer hardware but want some benefits of computer based production

5) don't already own and MPC One or Live

This is probably not so good for people who have some or all of the following:

1) Own a recent MPC

2) Own a solid keyboard controller

3) have a solid collection of virtual instruments

4) Have no need of a hardware sampler

I think it's best to think of this as a workstation along the lines of a Fantom or Motiff with lesser synth abilities but with arguably better sequencer,accompanying DAW and superior sampling capabilities. Better yet, think of it as a modern ASR10 without the same filters and more plasticky.