Korg Summer Sale - up to 50%

Frank

21 minutes ago, scook said:

Simply using the VST2 or rolling back to the previous VST3 does not help with fixing the problem.

Reporting it to support may.

Relying on VST2 is not a good long-term strategy.

I agree and plan to report it. With the M1 I created a new combination and it didn't seem to save it properly, but I haven't used the M1 much until now. I tried saving everything yesterday and today I'll see if that worked. If the vst 2 works it will save me from having to recreate the combination every time I open the project.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Simply using the VST2 or rolling back to the previous VST3 does not help with fixing the problem.

Reporting it to support may.

Relying on VST2 is not a good long-term strategy.

Agree on the VST2 strategy, but this issue needs to be reported to Cakewalk support! It's not saving the plugin state correctly for these 2 synths.

I tested the Korg M1 VST3 & Wavestation VST3 plugins in Cakewalk, Live, Reaper, and Studio One. The preset was recalled correctly in all but Cakewalk!

46 minutes ago, abacab said:

Agree on the VST2 strategy, but this issue needs to be reported to Cakewalk support! It's not saving the plugin state correctly for these 2 synths.

I tested the Korg M1 VST3 & Wavestation VST3 plugins in Cakewalk, Live, Reaper, and Studio One. The preset was recalled correctly in all but Cakewalk!

It does not appear to be exclusively a CbB problem. 

26 minutes ago, scook said:

It does not appear to be exclusively a CbB problem.

It is exclusively a CbB problem for me here on Windows 10. I'm running the latest release of these plugins and DAW software. I'll check it in a couple other hosts such as Tracktion Waveform 11 and Kushview Element.

I cannot speak for @rsingerhaving an issue with this VST3 in Live, as I don't have any details for that. And that's the only report I have seen in that regard.

@scookDid you see this post by @Wookiee

Edited by abacab

23 minutes ago, scook said:

You mean the one I quoted in my post?

Yes that's the one. Wookie suggested to report it to Cakewalk support. Just pointing that fact out.

It just seems a bit odd that the VST3 works fine in the other DAWs I tried, except for Cakewalk? In that case it's unlikely that KORG support can reproduce this bug if it's only exposed in certain situations such as with Cakewalk? This might be one of those caught in the middle between vendors situations. Is it the plugin, or is it the host?

The VST3 also worked fine in Waveform 11.

Wavestation v2.3.1 and M1 v2.3.2 here.

6 hours ago, abacab said:

On Windows, all but the ARP Odyssey is VST3.

On my Windows installation, it's all VST3 but ARP ODYSSEY and LegacyCell (checking in Studio One).  It's surprising that it's different from the Mac installation.

Edited by ALC

I posted in this thread only after receiving a report about a failure in another DAW.

Before that, I saw no reason to post here.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

It just seems a bit odd that the VST3 works fine in the other DAWs I tried, except for Cakewalk?

This would not be the first time.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

In that case it's unlikely that KORG support can reproduce this bug if it's only exposed in certain situations such as with Cakewalk?

They have the source to the plug-ins and are in the best position to see why the same initialization string works in one version and fails in another.  

Cakewalk, on the other hand, has no way to know how the plug-ins are processing the data sent by the DAW. 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

This might be one of those caught in the middle between vendors situations.

Always a possibility.

46 minutes ago, scook said:

When the only method of validation is testing, the most meaningful results are failures. Passing a test is just that and no more.

I have also tried the KORG VST3 plug-ins in question here in three JUCE-based hosts: Tracktion Waveform 11, Kushview Element, and PluginGuru Unify.

It worked in Waveform. But failed (did not retain saved plugin state) in:

• Element
  • Unify.

So it seems that the VST3 may just not have been tested in Cakewalk.

FYI, for what it's worth, the developer of Unify (Shane Dunne, a PhD Computer Science consultant with patents to his name) goes to great lengths to avoid using VST3 plug-ins wherever possible in Unify, and recommends using VST2 for now in their product. Unify is both a host and a plug-in.

Edited by abacab

It turns out the problem I had with the M1 in Live was operator error. I did a file save combi and that didn't save it. I tried file save all and that worked. When I opened the project to work today everything was fine.

• Thanks 1

I looked up the downloads in my korg account and the latest versions I can find there are max 2.2.0 for most plugins of the bundle. Nothing like 2.3.0 or 2.3.1... is that not what others see? And the paths to all windows versions have all 'mac' in them, ie:

https[blahblah].korg.com/korgms/korg_collection/mac/[pluginsname]_2_2_0.zip

Is that one of these companies that hardly acknowledge there is this operation system other than 'mac', called windows by some?

Edited by chris.r

32 minutes ago, chris.r said:

looked up the downloads in my korg account and the latest versions I can find there are max 2.2.0 for most plugins of the bundle. Nothing like 2.3.0 or 2.3.1... is that not what others see?

Sign in at https://id.korg.com/

All of the latest downloads in your account are available there for Mac & PC.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:55 AM, ALC said:

The best deal is KORG Collection 3 - Upgrade for M1 Le for $149.00.  M1 Le is free with KORG hardware (keyboards, controller).

I don't suppose anyone happens to have a spare free license of M1 LE do they. If you do and could PM me I'd really appreciate it and happy to gift/trade something in return of course 🙂

Edited by MusicMan

12 hours ago, scook said:

I used the Korg Software Pass to update

I always use the KORG Software Pass as well.

But occasionally it reports that an update is available, even when you might already have the latest synth versions installed. KORG usually fixes that discrepancy eventually, and it tends to occur after new versions are rolled out. The direct website account will give you access to the latest synth downloads, and that's less confusing for some folks if there are any doubts.

The Software Pass is usually the best way to go, but it's nice to know that there is also a direct link workaround. :)

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 5:13 PM, Fleer said:

It is fine indeed. And even has double the polyphony compared to Arturia’s version, quite interesting for a monophonic synth ;)

But Arturia incorporated the sequencer with effects, and that’s pretty pretty good. 

My problem with arturia is their presets ... not as musical imho ...