My New Computer Build

cclarry

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Well, the FIRST thing that sucks about upgrading to Windows 11 is that it doesn't migrate
your Start Menu programs and groups to the new start menu.  You have do it all manually...Boooooooooooooooo

Why does Microsoft keep insisting on screwing around with the start menu? That's the reason I hated Windows 8. 🙄

The modern Windows start menu has been very successful since Windows 95, except with Win 8 of course. But they mostly back-tracked that in Windows 10.

• Like 1

I did NOT have to reinstall Toontrack, Vienna, Heavyocity, Inspired Acoustics, Amplesound, etc...
Cubase was tricky.  I assumed that since I didn't uninstall it that it would be fine.  That was not the case.
I had to open the activation manager, which showed no licenses, so I selected the "Log In" option, which
says that it will erase the offline licenses.  After logging into MySteinberg, it showed my licenses were there.
Closed and restarted the License Activation manager, and it NOW showed my licenses, but they had to be
re-activated, so not "too bad"

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Why does Microsoft keep insisting on screwing around with the start menu? That's the reason I hated Windows 8. 🙄

The modern Windows start menu has been very successful since Windows 95, except with Win 8 of course. But they mostly back-tracked that in Windows 10.

If you're referring to it being centred on 11, there is an option to left-align it. I think they centred it for people with extraordinarily wide monitors.

9 minutes ago, antler said:

If you're referring to it being centred on 11, there is an option to left-align it. I think they centred it for people with extraordinarily wide monitors.

Nope, was referring to Larry's comment about 11:

• Like 1

Reading this thread with interest as after I came back from holiday my 5 yr old DAW didn't start, The ASUS MB Q-LED lights indicated a CPU error, after re-seating the CPU It worked but one of the two monitors keeps going black,  So after a bit of internal debate I have ordered a new system. 

I expect it to arrive later today and will attempt to re-install all my software and plug-ins, but I have a question. 

1. Prior to CbB, I used to run Sonar and have a lot of the old stuff which I still use within CbB from time to time,  eg:,

VST2,  VX64 Vocal Strip, PX64 Percussion Strip, Rapture ... etc. 

DX,  Sonitus Compressor, Sonitus Delay ... etc. 

Do I need to re-install Sonar in order to get these to work or is their an easier way? 

Edited by icu81b4

You have to reinstall Sonar that had the plugins you want in CbB. But I think you can run the installer and only select the things you want, e.g plug-ins but not main software -IIRC. It’s been a while since I looked into this.

• Like 1

Interesting thread and congrats on the new system(s). Made me miss the time when I built my own computers actually. It was fun and cost effective💪💪

but I just ordered the Mac Studio and I have to say, I’m looking forward to start using it without having to assemble it first😅

• Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, projectm said:

Interesting thread and congrats on the new system(s). Made me miss the time when I built my own computers actually. It was fun and cost effective💪💪

but I just ordered the Mac Studio and I have to say, I’m looking forward to start using it without having to assemble it first😅

Building them, up until this one, was always fun.  But I'm too old so I won't be doing it again LOL!
This is the final hurrah!  Next one, if there is a next one, which I doubt, I will buy!

I'm now going through and verifying program function, which will take awhile. 

7 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Building them, up until this one, was always fun.  But I'm too old so I won't be doing it again LOL!
This is the final hurrah!  Next one, if there is a next one, which I doubt, I will buy!

I'm now going through and verifying program function, which will take awhile. 

Haha! I said the same 10 years ago when I bought my first Mac. Windows (8 at the time) wasn’t worth the hassle. But still, I did enjoy putting the three or four systems I built  together when all the kinks in the hardware was ironed out. The problem was that I always looked for ways to perfect it. Not anymore though, can’t upgrade a Mac and you can’t afford it after buying one either 😉

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, projectm said:

You have to reinstall Sonar that had the plugins you want in CbB. But I think you can run the installer and only select the things you want, e.g plug-ins but not main software -IIRC. It’s been a while since I looked into this.

@icu81b4This is pretty much it. It is recommended to first install any of the Sonar products you wish to have available, the then install Cakewalk by BandLab to pick up the old stuff. You can do selective installs, but installing the full Sonar program itself really doesn't require much disk space, and you can be sure that you got everything.

If you are referring to Sonar X1-X3, or Platinum, the installers are still available in your old Cakewalk account. For the Sonar Platinum era installers, you should use Cakewalk Command Center to access the desired installations. CCC will download, install, and activate the selected installers for you, no serial numbers or activation codes required.

Also, CCC has separated many of the instrument and plugin suite installers from the core Sonar installer. But just be aware that there are a few items such as Roland V-Vocal that are part of the core Sonar install, and I don't recall the details of what all of those were.

3 hours ago, abacab said:

@icu81b4This is pretty much it. It is recommended to first install any of the Sonar products you wish to have available, the then install Cakewalk by BandLab to pick up the old stuff. You can do selective installs, but installing the full Sonar program itself really doesn't require much disk space, and you can be sure that you got everything.

If you are referring to Sonar X1-X3, or Platinum, the installers are still available in your old Cakewalk account. For the Sonar Platinum era installers, you should use Cakewalk Command Center to access the desired installations. CCC will download, install, and activate the selected installers for you, no serial numbers or activation codes required.

Also, CCC has separated many of the instrument and plugin suite installers from the core Sonar installer. But just be aware that there are a few items such as Roland V-Vocal that are part of the core Sonar install, and I don't recall the details of what all of those were.

Thanks for the replies ... So I'm now on Windows 11, I tried to download the CCC from https://www.cakewalk.com/command-center but for some reason it refuses to download, I noticed that the version of CCC Setup was 1.1.7.1 which I already had on my old system so I copied that over and that installed and ran ok, So far so good. 

I then installed the latest version of CbB - ok 

I then tried to install the 'Big Fish' libraries using the CCC, They downloaded ok but when trying to install I get a "Setup Error" 

'Cannot locate the required version of the program on this system. Please install the correct version of the program to use this pack'  

However, It installed the CA-2A ok 

I'll have to see how I get on with all the other stuff ( synths etc...) 

1 hour ago, icu81b4 said:

Thanks for the replies ... So I'm now on Windows 11, I tried to download the CCC from https://www.cakewalk.com/command-center but for some reason it refuses to download, I noticed that the version of CCC Setup was 1.1.7.1 which I already had on my old system so I copied that over and that installed and ran ok, So far so good. 

I then installed the latest version of CbB - ok

Install CbB last. Make sure that you already have all of the Sonar extras installed first.

In the order of oldest to newest. That works best, and is what the Cakewalk staff has always recommended.

Some installers may be looking for Sonar to be available on the system, such as indicated by the error 'Cannot locate the required version of the program on this system. Please install the correct version of the program to use this pack'.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, icu81b4 said:

If you have any other Sonar or Cakewalk issues, please open a new thread in general Cakewalk support forum. You are more likely to engage with Cakewalk staff there. This is the "Deals" thread, and not many staff members hang out here.

Edited by abacab

27 minutes ago, abacab said:

If you have any other Sonar or Cakewalk issues, please open a new thread in general Cakewalk support forum. You are more likely to engage with Cakewalk staff there. This is the "Deals" thread, and not many staff members hang out here.

Ok - Will do - Thanks. 

1 minute ago, icu81b4 said:

Ok - Will do - Thanks. 

No problem! Just trying to help fast track your restoration. :)

I can see you possibly getting into some detailed Sonar installation issues, and that might just get lost in the dust here!

• Like 1

Last piece of the puzzle is in...and purring like a kitten!  4K is looking mighty fine!

I went low end gaming with an XFX Speedster 210 8 Gb RX-6600, which should do the job
just fine since I don't play games anyways!  I couldn't afford anything better.  Even this
was stretching it, but it's working (and looking) great!

The BIOS has an "auto tune" (Ha ha) feature, and after I ran it I'm running at 4.2 Ghz and
average CPU temps are about 40c (50c Package)....that's pretty crazy!  That's about 10c below what it was 
running at with the default profile, and .5 Ghz faster CPU speed!  I like it!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I went low end gaming with an XFX Speedster 210 8 Gb RX-6600, which should do the job
just fine since I don't play games anyways! 

I agree. I am running a low end NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, which is plenty fine for what I do. It benchmarks with Passmarks's Performance Test 2D mark at 72% and 3Dmark at 63%, vs. the world (Percentile).

@cclarryFree trial, with standard functions available after trial expires.

https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/index.php

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1