My New Computer Build

cclarry

1 minute ago, antler said:

Probably a bit late as you've already ordered, but I've always liked Noctua fans. The colour isn't exactly my taste, but hey - the fans go inside the case 😁

Probably a dumb question, but do the M2s have heatsinks on them?

Like RAM, they come with "heat spreaders", which I have it installed.  But I'm sure that, due to the CPU heat, and the proximity of the M2 drive in slot 1
to the CPU, that makes a difference.  I bought the Thermaltake Pure Plus RGB Triple Pack on sale for $60.  I didn't want cheap fans.  I debated whether or not
just to buy a new case with fans already in it for about $50 more....but didn't want to do all the work of "rebuilding" again LOL.  These should solve the 
cooling problem with the M2.
6339072_sd.jpg
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-pure-plus-12-led-rgb-triple-pack-radiator-fan-tt-premium-edition-120mm-case-cooling-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black/6339072.p

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

Like RAM, they come with "heat spreaders", which I have it installed.  But I'm sure that, due to the CPU heat, and the proximity of the M2 drive in slot 1
to the CPU, that makes a difference.  I bought the Thermaltake Pure Plus RGB Triple Pack on sale for $60.  I didn't want cheap fans.  I debated whether or not
just to buy a new case with fans already in it for about $50 more....but didn't want to do all the work of "rebuilding" again LOL.  These should solve the 
cooling problem with the M2.
6339072_sd.jpg
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-pure-plus-12-led-rgb-triple-pack-radiator-fan-tt-premium-edition-120mm-case-cooling-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black/6339072.p

Maybe you have already done so, but I have arranged my case fans so one end of the case is intake, and the other is exhaust, in order to create cross-ventilation for the interior of the case.

This method is intended to move any hot air that might accumulate inside of the case, to the outside. It works for me, but then again, I'm not running a blow torch for my CPU! 🤣

• Haha 2

Well...brief update.  I killed my M2 drive due to a costly mistake.  I moved it to the other slot to see
if it would be cooler running.  Apparently not, as it killed the drive.  I couldn't figure
out what was going on, so pulled it out, and put in the external to check it.  Gone.  It wouldn't even recognize it.
So that was a costly decision!  So I took the 1 TB Boot SSD out of the old computer, installed it, and back
in business!  It booted right into Windows 10, and didn't have to do anything!

Temps running between 50 and 60 C...as they should be.  I guess those new M2 PCIe 4.0
drives might come earlier than I had planned!  I don't know if it was the drive that was bad, or what,
but it's too late now!  I guess the next drive will tell!

So, so far everything is stable....but I'm not installing the other drives until I know it's safe...LOL

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

It worked great when it was in the External Enclosure, so who knows, 
but now Temps are pretty stable at about 60c...so it was definitely something
to do with that costly mistake of a drive!

Warranty!!!

• Great Idea 1

Here's where I'm at...

I still have to get the rest of the SSD's installed, and route and tie the cables,
but it's been holding between 50 and 60 c for a while, even under use...so
I'm pretty content with that!  It's laying on it's side, and will most likely stay
that way due to that enormous cooler!  No "sideways" pull strain on the MB
if it's sitting flat!  It will sit upright, but that cooler would put a lot of stress
on the MB I believe.

PC Build.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Here's where I'm at...

I still have to get the rest of the SSD's installed, and route and tie the cables,
but it's been holding between 50 and 60 c for a while, even under use...so
I'm pretty content with that!  It's laying on it's side, and will most likely stay
that way due to that enormous cooler!  No "sideways" pull strain on the MB
if it's sitting flat!  It will sit upright, but that cooler would put a lot of stress
on the MB I believe.

Well all those non-spinning drives shouldn't give a sh*t how they are oriented! 🤣

Well played!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BTP said:

I think there was something wrong with the drive if it overheated that easily.

Just let it update to W11 and you're done. 😉

I agree with this. If you were stressing the drive out with a torture test I could see it failing that quick. But normal use? No, something wrong with that pic. 

I would start a warranty claim.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:11 PM, Cookie Jarvis said:

Congratulations Larry! This post got me to thinking about my system...I'm still running a Win7 Ultimate PC and been thinking about updating and was talking to my gf about this post this past weekend....she gave me the greenlight so I took the ball and ran. I have many packages coming in this week starting with yesterday-

Asus ProArt Z690 Creator Wifi (came yesterday)

Intel i9-12900K (came yesterday)

Corsair XTM50 Thermal Paste (came yesterday)

Bolt Dropper PC & Standoff Screw Kit (came yesterday)

MOTU MIDI Express XT USB (coming today)

Many assorted audio and Midi cables (coming today)

Corsair RMX 1000x Gold Modular PSU (coming today)

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Videocard (coming today)

Samsung 980 SSD 1tb M.2 NVMe (coming today)

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (coming today)

Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler (coming today)

Thermaltake Core V71 Tempered Glass Edition E-ATX Full Tower Case (Coming tomorrow)

Pioneer BDR-212V 16x Internal Blu-ray Burner (coming tomorrow)

Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB(2x32GB) 5600MHz ram (coming Thursday...another set coming next week for a total of 128GB of ram)

Thunderbolt 4 6,6ft. cable (coming Thursday)

Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface (coming Thursday)

Going to order 2 more NVMe SSD drives soon...probably 2TB each :)

Going to reuse my sata drives from the old computer for now...1TB to 4TB drives...also an external 8TB drive!

Any tips on software moves?  I'm not worried by the i-Lok and elic stuff...more so the machine activated stuff! I don't know about you but I'm hoping for another 10 years from this ;)

Bill

@Cookie Jarvis Did you source all the parts for your PC from the same retailer? If so, which one. I starting to plan my new PC Desktop upgrade but was considering staying with a single retailer (like Newegg) and using their 3rd part assembly option for $100, since I have never built a PC from scratch, I'm just a parts swapper.

NOLAGuy, I just used Amazon as I get 5% back with my Amazon Chase card ;)  I just installed Win 11 and drivers tonight...tomorrow the Presonus and MOTU units. This is the easy stuff, the fun part's going to be the software moves... then sata moves and that should be it....for now ;) Oh, and with my Prime membership everything came quick!

Bill

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

NOLAGuy, I just used Amazon as I get 5% back with my Amazon Chase card ;)  I just installed Win 11 and drivers tonight...tomorrow the Presonus and MOTU units. This is the easy stuff, the fun part's going to be the software moves... then sata moves and that should be it....for now ;) Oh, and with my Prime membership everything came quick!

Bill

Yep, that Amazon Prime Chase card pretty much pays for your annual Prime membership with 5% back! Plus you get free Prime 2-day shipping, and easy returns!

What's not to like about that! :)

12 hours ago, NOLAGuy said:

@Cookie Jarvis Did you source all the parts for your PC from the same retailer? If so, which one. I starting to plan my new PC Desktop upgrade but was considering staying with a single retailer (like Newegg) and using their 3rd part assembly option for $100, since I have never built a PC from scratch, I'm just a parts swapper.

You may want to check with @Jim Roseberryhere on the Cakewalk Forum. His company builds custom PC's specifically for DAW use. He has been at it for many years and knows what he is doing. https://www.studiocat.com/

• Custom PC's
  • Consultation
  • Support
  • Like 4

Did your M2 drive come with a heatsink? If not, you may want to add one

Alternatively, if your motherboard supports pcie bifurcation and you have a free 16x pcie slot,  you may want to consider a pcie to m2 adapter with a heatsink and fan, e.g.  https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-hyper-m-2-x16-card-v2-pci-express-to-4-x-m-2/p/N82E16815293043 (although, for this card you probably want to install M2's in pairs, so that your x16 slot bifurcates to 2x8 or 4x4 with all lanes fully populated)