My New Computer Build

cclarry

I’ve been giving Larry a hard time about his new computer build but super happy he is having fun and getting an awesome machine.  I don’t know Larry if you are fully up but I walk away like 5 minutes and your posting rate is insane. I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep up going forward if this is just a preview :)  Larry on steroids. Haha

• Haha 2

Man, those M2 Drives are SENSITIVE!  I moved the fan that I had blowing on the motherboard just a little bit and BOOM,
stopped working.

I ordered 3 new case fans this morning and they'll be here today.  Obviously, heat is apparently a HUGE issue for these drives!

CPU is staying around 40c which is good, but that M.2 Drive likes to disappear when it gets to warm.
The HWMonitor shows it at 35c after putting the fan back where it was!

• Great Idea 1

43 minutes ago, Technostica said:

I would use a heatsink if it's a particularly hot drive.

One of the two available M.2 slots on my ASUS board comes factory equipped with a heatsink. Check the other M.2 slot if so equipped. There is also a header for an M.2 fan here, whatever the heck that is?

Edited by abacab

7 minutes ago, abacab said:

One of the two available M.2 slots on my ASUS board comes factory equipped with a heatsink. Check the other M.2 slot if so equipped. There is also a header for an M.2 fan here, whatever the heck that is?

Mine does also...but my M2 drive is PCIe 3.0...and the other slot is 4.0 only

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Aha! That makes sense. My board is a couple of years old, and I believe that 4.0 is a more recent feature. Thanks to the steady creep of tech progress...

My board config has both M.2 slots as PCIe 3.0.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, abacab said:

Aha! That makes sense. My board is a couple of years old, and I believe that 4.0 is a more recent feature. Thanks to the steady creep of tech progress...

My board config has both M.2 slots as PCIe 3.0.

Both of my slots can be 4.0.  Slot M2_1 is either 4.0 or 3.0, and slot M2_2 is strictly 4.0

51 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I thought that PCIe was backwardly compatible by default, so what makes you say it's PCIe 4.0 only?
I looked at the spec sheet and it just says 4.0 for both.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/techspec/

Note: If your CPU is PCIe 3.0 then the slot linked directly to the CPU will be limited to 3.0

• Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, Technostica said:

I thought that PCIe was backwardly compatible by default, so what makes you say it's PCIe 4.0 only?
I looked at the spec sheet and it just says 4.0 for both.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/techspec/

Note: If your CPU is PCIe 3.0 then the slot linked directly to the CPU will be limited to 3.0

I'm just going by what the manual says.  It says M2_1 is 4.0/3.0, and that M2_2 is 4.0...it doesn't mention 3.0.
One would think that, like USB 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0 that it would be...but that's not what my 
Manual says.

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I'm just going by what the manual says.  It says M2_1 is 4.0/3.0, and that M2_2 is 4.0...it doesn't mention 3.0.
One would think that, like USB 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0 that it would be...but that's not what my 
Manual says.

That might well mean what the maximum supported is as that varies depending on the CPU used.
So slot 2 is always UP to 4.0 as it's linked to the chipset which supports 4.0.
Slot 1 is linked to the CPU and some compatible chips are UP to  3.0 and others UP to 4.0.
Hence the term  M2_1 = 4.0/3.0.

Edited by Technostica
  • Like 2

I'm sure that both slots support 3.0 drives.
3.0 is only specifically mentioned for slot 1 due to the different PCIe support from the range of CPUs the board is compatible with.
If you look below it shows the same specs for both slots when using a PCIe 4.0 compatible CPU.

image.png.fa04b276e191e5816fb913fb52b91ce9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

It would make sense since my CPU is Gen 3 and it's still running the 3.0 M2 drive...
most likely it means "up to" 4.0

So hopefully you can find out if the other M.2 slot runs cooler in your rig. :)

• Like 1

With the new case fans, once installed, I shouldn't have to worry about it.
That slot will get filled soon enough with a 4.0, and the current slot will get
a 4.0 too, and the 3.0 will go to my external M2 enclosure LOL!

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

Man, those M2 Drives are SENSITIVE!  I moved the fan that I had blowing on the motherboard just a little bit and BOOM,
stopped working.

I ordered 3 new case fans this morning and they'll be here today.  Obviously, heat is apparently a HUGE issue for these drives!

CPU is staying around 40c which is good, but that M.2 Drive likes to disappear when it gets to warm.
The HWMonitor shows it at 35c after putting the fan back where it was!

Probably a bit late as you've already ordered, but I've always liked Noctua fans. The colour isn't exactly my taste, but hey - the fans go inside the case 😁

Probably a dumb question, but do the M2s have heatsinks on them?