My New Computer Build

cclarry

40 minutes ago, cclarry said:

All seems well...pretty lights...LOL  Now I have to get the rest of the drives installed,
and route and tie back the cables...

20220630_092847_Burst01.jpg

Dang! That's a huge air cooler! Looks like the radiator under the hood of my car, LOL!!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, to everyone building a new system: I strongly suggest running memtest86. It has saved me more than once.

Memtest86 is a great free tool to test and burn in your new memory! Boot it from a USB stick and let it run test passes all night. It's always a great feeling to see zero errors when it's finished!

Another good tool to stress test your CPU and cooling is freeware Prime95. The torture test will run all of your cores at 100% utilization, with your fans at max RPM! You will quickly learn if your cooling plan is sufficient for a full load. https://prime95.en.lo4d.com/windows

And you should run the free CPUID HWMonitor so that you can observe your temps, fans, and voltages in real time during the torture test.  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.htm

:)

• Great Idea 1

Huge scare...I downloaded the latest drives for the Motherboard, and it restarted,
but then it said "repairing disck", and restarted, and did it again, and again, then
said "Please install boot device"!  So I went into BIOS and the M2 drive had disappeared!
I shut it off...and waiting a bit, and restarted, and then it booted back into Windows.
Then after about minute, it just stopped, and would do anything.  Shut it down, installed
another fan, and for now it seems to be ok...but it's kind of weird.  The CPU temp never
went over 50 c...and hovered at about 40....so it doesn't appear to be a CPU Temp issue,
but rather an M2/Motherboard overheat issue?  IDK....but I don't like it!

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

And you should run the free CPUID HWMonitor so that you can observe your temps, fans, and voltages in real time during the torture test.  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.htm

HWMonitor displays the current value/min/max for each sensor, so start it while your system is idle and let it settle at the min values before you begin stress testing. Then you can see how much the current and max values change from the idle baseline.

5 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Huge scare...I downloaded the latest drives for the Motherboard, and it restarted,
but then it said "repairing disck", and restarted, and did it again, and again, then
said "Please install boot device"!  So I went into BIOS and the M2 drive had disappeared!
I shut it off...and waiting a bit, and restarted, and then it booted back into Windows.
Then after about minute, it just stopped, and would do anything.  Shut it down, installed
another fan, and for now it seems to be ok...but it's kind of weird.  The CPU temp never
went over 50 c...and hovered at about 40....so it doesn't appear to be a CPU Temp issue,
but rather an M2/Motherboard overheat issue?  IDK....but I don't like it!

Well starting with the basics, drivers don't kick in until the OS such as Windows loads them. So your latest update really shouldn't have caused any errors at the motherboard/BIOS level.

You may be onto something with the temps. Do you have another M.2 slot you can move it to? Is there a heat sink for the M.2 drive?

Just now, abacab said:

Well starting with the basics, drivers don't kick in until the OS such as Windows loads them. So your latest update really shouldn't have caused any errors at the motherboard/BIOS level.

You may be onto something with the temps. Do you have another M.2 slot you can move it to? Is there a heat sink for the M.2 drive?

I just installed another fan and so far it seems to be holding...I think the M2 was getting too hot.
Time will tell....I may have to get some more fans!

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I just installed another fan and so far it seems to be holding...I think the M2 was getting too hot.
Time will tell....I may have to get some more fans!

Run HWMonitor. It shows all available temp sensors, including the mainboard.

HWMonitor example.PNG

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, CoveCamper said:

Tell us how you like windows 11.

I installed it recently and had zero problems. Even my 15-year-old webcam worked right away (better than W10).

One thing I had to do was to buy Start11 and use it to change the start menu and taskbar back to the way I like them. I like the full screen start menu so I can open any app in a couple of seconds by using just the mouse.

Edited by BTP

50 minutes ago, BTP said:

One thing I had to do was to buy Start11 and use it to change the start menu and taskbar back to the way I like them. I like the full screen start menu so I can open any app in a couple of seconds by using just the mouse.

I didn't know this software exists. Thanks for sharing 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, abacab said:

And if you really want to drill down and see what is using the most space on your drive, I highly recommend this free utility... :)

Treesize free: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Want to Know Where Your Disk Space Has Gone?

• Get TreeSize Free! Even in the times of cheap terabytes a final truth remains: sooner or later every hard disk will near capacity. We have the solution. Use TreeSize Free to keep an eye on your disk space.
  • TreeSize Free is compatible with any edition of Windows starting with Windows 8 / Server 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit).

This one's a bit old, but great too

https://windirstat.net/

• Like 1