My New Computer Build

cclarry

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Well...I guess I'm a moron because the M2 Mount WAS in the package...I just didn't see it LOL!
That's the price of getting old!  BACK IN BUSINESS!

Your earlier post had inspired me to re-read my ASUS manual sections regarding the M.2 installation. In the manual under "Package contents", they had listed "Accessories: 1 x M.2 screw package". Checked in the box that I had saved, and sure enough, there they were! :)

P.S. I shouldn't have looked at Amazon. They have a shiny new Samsung M.2 SSD for $74.99. I'm tempted...

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7Q21N7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, abacab said:

I shouldn't have looked at Amazon. They have a shiny new Samsung M.2 SSD for $74.99. I'm tempted...

My MB is all ready to go for M.2 NVME. Checked the manual and only one of my two M.2 slots is shared with a SATA port, that gets disabled if the M.2 slot gets used. Even that's not an issue since I'm only using 4 of the available SATA ports as is.

Got the M.2 drive in my shopping cart... :)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, abacab said:

My MB is all ready to go for M.2 NVME. Checked the manual and only one of my two M.2 slots is shared with a SATA port, that gets disabled if the M.2 slot gets used. Even that's not an issue since I'm only using 4 of the available SATA ports as is.

Got the M.2 drive in my shopping cart... :)

Not near big enough...go BIG or go home...LOL

3 hours ago, cclarry said:

Not near big enough...go BIG or go home...LOL

500 GB is plenty big enough for my system drive M.2 SSD. My current "C:" drive SSD is only 500 GB. I run a lean system drive that is 40% free space now. That means I can easily take scheduled nightly full system drive images and fit several of them (retain 3 days) on a 1TB external WD Elements HDD.

My system drive only contains Windows 10, my programs, and my plugin DLL's/VST3's, etc. All of the other content and sample libraries that I use go onto my "D:" drive SSD (which is 2 TB currently). :)

My download archives go onto another internal WD HDD.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

500 GB is plenty big enough for my system drive M.2 SSD. My current "C:" drive SSD is only 500 GB. I run a lean system drive that is 40% free space now. That means I can easily take scheduled nightly full system drive images and fit several of them (retain 3 days) on a 1TB external WD Elements HDD.

My system drive only contains Windows 10, my programs, and my plugin DLL's/VST3's, etc. All of the other content and sample libraries that I use go onto my "D:" drive SSD (which is 2 TB currently). :)

My download archives go onto another internal WD HDD.

Yes...500 Gb is big enough for a system drive for sure...but you'll be surprised how quickly that 500 goes!
I had my system drive on a 128 Gb at one point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Yes...500 Gb is big enough for a system drive for sure...but you'll be surprised how quickly that 500 goes!

Right! I started with a 250 GB SSD that was almost full. But I have installed all the programs that I ever plan to on this system, so the 500 GB just bought me some breathing room. At 280 GB used now, I have set a hard limit for myself of 300 GB used on "C:", or else something gotta go!!! 🤣

• Great Idea 1

22 hours ago, cclarry said:

Apple Proprietary = MONEY!

TB is Intel tech, it's just that Apple are the highest profile user.

Intel has given away TB3 to the USB consortium, which is why USB4 when implemented to the highest level offers the same features.

TB4 does offer some extra features and  none of them are optional. That's one of its advantages as you don't have to check the small print as you do with USB.

22 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

They don't make SSD's large enough for my sample libraries...especially my EastWest and Kontakt stuff!

Bill

They probably do but the cost is off putting. You can buy 15TB U.2 or U.3 enterprise drives that you can use in a PCIe 4x slot with a cheap adapter.

They start at about 2.5k and the 7.5TB versions start around 1k. That's for the Samsung PM9A3 which is 7TB/s, TLC, 1DWPD. No cooling issues either due to the larger form factor. These are overlooked by consumers as the consumer boards don't have any U.2 slots. That's what I would buy if looking for an 8TB drive for a desktop.

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Also, don't forget that some plugins like to install all of their samples on the system drive.

Another thing that's often forgotten is having enough overhead for your page file, which gets bigger the more RAM you have. System Restore points need free space too!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, antler said:

Another thing that's often forgotten is having enough overhead for your page file, which gets bigger the more RAM you have.

Only if you have it manually setup to mirror the amount of RAM you have which is wasteful. The more RAM you have the less you need a page file.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Technostica said:

Only if you have it manually setup to mirror the amount of RAM you have which is wasteful. The more RAM you have the less you need a page file.

You still need it if your computer goes to sleep/hibernation

OK...after pulling my hair out for about an hour, I finally realized I never installed the cable for the CPU
power.  I kept powering on and seeing all the pretty lights...but nothing.  After looking everything over, and
trying to figure out what the heck was wrong, I looked next to the CPU and saw the ATX Power Sockets
had no connector attached!  DERH!  So initial test everything fired up and the BIOS recognized the new
CPU, but the PCIe Graphics card I used that came out of the old i7 System isn't UEFI compatible, so I will
have to probably get another graphics card (PCIe 4.0 this time) to get this thing going.  The Dark Rock 
is HUGER THAN HUGE...here's a pick of it installed (which was a HUGE PITA as well)!   I haven't tied
down the cables yet.  Need to determine best routing.

PC Build 2.jpg

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, antler said:

Also, don't forget that some plugins like to install all of their samples on the system drive.

Another thing that's often forgotten is having enough overhead for your page file, which gets bigger the more RAM you have. System Restore points need free space too!

I have overcome those sort of issues with directory junctions (symlinks). Everything is happy on my secondary drive!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, antler said:

I set my page file manually to a few GB's. No problems here with 16 GB RAM!

• Like 1

And if you really want to drill down and see what is using the most space on your drive, I highly recommend this free utility... :)

Treesize free: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Want to Know Where Your Disk Space Has Gone?

• Get TreeSize Free! Even in the times of cheap terabytes a final truth remains: sooner or later every hard disk will near capacity. We have the solution. Use TreeSize Free to keep an eye on your disk space.
  • TreeSize Free is compatible with any edition of Windows starting with Windows 8 / Server 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, antler said:

You still need it if your computer goes to sleep/hibernation

Sleep and Hibernate are different things.

Sleep keeps the contents in RAM which means it requires power to keep the session active and doesn’t write to disk.

Hibernate uses the Hibernation file which is separate to the page file and it doesn’t require power as the OS state is written to file.

So the Hibernation file will be larger if you have more RAM installed and can also be managed manually.

If you don’t plan on using Hibernate or Hybrid Sleep, I would disable Hibernate to save disk space and reduce SSD wear. I do this on desktops but not laptops as Hibernate is useful due to saving power compared to Sleep.

The page file will be small unless you don’t have enough memory, in which case the performance will usually degrade noticeably.

You can also disable the page file completely, but it’s not generally worthwhile and it can be risky so not worth it.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

And if you really want to drill down and see what is using the most space on your drive, I highly recommend this free utility... :)

Treesize free: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Want to Know Where Your Disk Space Has Gone?

• Get TreeSize Free! Even in the times of cheap terabytes a final truth remains: sooner or later every hard disk will near capacity. We have the solution. Use TreeSize Free to keep an eye on your disk space.
  • TreeSize Free is compatible with any edition of Windows starting with Windows 8 / Server 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit).

A very handy tool and allows you to see for example, which naughty app has written a ton of data to the OS drive. So worth running in Administration mode after you have installed all your software and get it to scan the OS drive. It helped me when I was using a 256GB boot drive to free space as I was running low. It showed me that Spotify had a 10GB cache and this wasn’t for downloaded songs. 

• Great Idea 1

After swapping out the video cards, I'm up and running!  YAY!  Now the fun begins!
I took the card out of my FX-8300 system to get this set up!  I'll order a new card sometime
down the road.

After setting the CPU in BIOS it booted right up, set up Win 11, which was already
on the 2 TB M2, and away she went!  I'm a crappy hamster now! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

After swapping out the video cards, I'm up and running!  YAY!  Now the fun begins!
I took the card out of my FX-8300 system to get this set up!  I'll order a new card sometime
down the road.

After setting the CPU in BIOS it booted right up, set up Win 11, which was already
on the 2 TB M2, and away she went!  I'm a crappy hamster now! LOL

Cool!  That means you can start on mine right? 🤪

My computer still does OK for what I do with it (hobby ), but the technology is progressing faster then me and it seems you always need a little more. Hopefully I can retire in three years and spend more time with it.  Tell us how you like windows 11.