My New Computer Build

cclarry

13 hours ago, Tezza said:

Just remember to tell your neighbors that their lights might go dim every time you start your computer!

If the lights start to flicker be warned it might be the "Upside Down" and if it is you need to play your favorite song.... 

(some will get above and some won't ;) )

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I have decided to go the "fresh install" route.  That way I can "clean house" and get rid of 
superfluous crap....it will take longer...but will be more beneficial in the long run I believe,
and I've really got nothing but time....so why not?

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 3

3 hours ago, cclarry said:

I have decided to go the "fresh install" route.  That way I can "clean house" and get rid of 
superfluous crap....it will take longer...but will be more beneficial in the long run I believe,
and I've really got nothing but time....so why not?

Consider yourself lucky Larry.

I heard it takes Bapu one year just to install his Toontrack Expansions and Midi packs. 🙂

Good luck with your new build.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, CoveCamper said:

Consider yourself lucky Larry.

I heard it takes Bapu one year just to install his Toontrack Expansions and Midi packs. 🙂

Good luck with your new build.

Thanx CC!  I'm excited...and petrified...all at the same time...LOL

Memory, CPU, and Vicabo CPU Cooler came today.  I'm half tempted to put the Vicabo in to get
started, and then swap out when the Dark Horse shows up.  But I don't want to have to heat paste
the CPU, then take the fan off, clean the CPU and do it again.  Getting anxious...LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abacab said:

Get some rubbing alcohol and some wipes. Good times! 😂

Sounds kinky!

I'm tempted just so I can see how the temps are with this cooler, and how this thing runs...
but then I haven't got the M.2 Drive Mount standoff yet...so can't install the M.2 drive,
and since I have to wait for that...I might as well just wait!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cclarry said:

and since I have to wait for that...I might as well just wait!

Yeah if your gonna wait, do it all just once and done!!

Good choice on the change of cooler. That was good advice you got.

Good choice on the fresh install too. I have had this install of Win 10  going since it first came out. But on my Surface Pro 3 that came with Win 8, all I did was upgrade and it seems to be doing well until recently. The keyboard and trackpad seem to be getting flakey. Was working all this time, then stopped. Had a Win update and it started working again. Now it's back to not working. Not sure of the problem there.

Yeah, my current system has been running since Win 8.1...so it's gone through a LOT!
I'm going to install Win 10 fresh.  I've already sent Waves plugins to the cloud, and 
Deactivated my PA Plugins, and moved all my PC Based iLok Licenses to the physical iLok,
and I'll do a few every day until the rest of the parts arrive.  I have all the installers on my
Archive Drive, so that won't be a problem.  Just have to remember to unregister, deactivate,
blah blah blah, everything LOL!  I have all my Harrison License files saved also, so that's not
an issue.  Just have to keep going down the check list.  Sample Libraries I will just have to 
re-connect, not re-install, so that will be a decent time savings also.

37 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Yeah, my current system has been running since Win 8.1...so it's gone through a LOT!
I'm going to install Win 10 fresh.  I've already sent Waves plugins to the cloud, and 
Deactivated my PA Plugins, and moved all my PC Based iLok Licenses to the physical iLok,
and I'll do a few every day until the rest of the parts arrive.  I have all the installers on my
Archive Drive, so that won't be a problem.  Just have to remember to unregister, deactivate,
blah blah blah, everything LOL!  I have all my Harrison License files saved also, so that's not
an issue.  Just have to keep going down the check list.  Sample Libraries I will just have to 
re-connect, not re-install, so that will be a decent time savings also.

That will be a good opportunity to decide how much dead weight you are carrying, and lighten the load to stuff you actually use today! :)

• Like 1

Oh yes, I can remember the eager excitement of diving into my first computer build in the late 90's. When I installed the motherboard in the case, I forgot to first attach the small brass standoff screws to the motherboard. All of the motherboard circuitry was in direct contact with the metal case. This proved to be very exciting when I first powered it up. I can assure you, it was not the smell of victory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I decided just to keep the Vicabo cooler.  I have to admit, it's pretty kewl looking and
beefy!  The design of the heatpipes is different than the pic above, and the rating
of Airflow is now 72 CFM, so don't know if they addressed some of the issues with
the original design, but I'm sorely tempted to install it and see how it works, but the
Dark Rock Pro will be here tomorrow....so I can wait.

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

IK stuff needs to be deactivated as well, IIRC.

Actually true, but you have a limit of 10 activations:

Deauthorizing software

You can authorize your IK Multimedia software up to 10 different computers at once. Once you have reached the limit and need to authorize a new machine, you will need to deauthorize one. To do this, click Deauthorize and then click Authorize to authorize the new computer.

Remove unneeded authorizations

The IK Product Manager now allows you to de-authorize a machine, freeing up more authorizations automatically. With 10 authorizations provided, you can easily move between machines as needed, adding and deleting authorizations as you go.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

tempted to install it and see how it works,

I would not be able to stop myself from doing it just to see the results of the two different coolers!!

Like abacab said, a little rubbing alcohol and some cleaning pads, (paper towels), would clean that paste off in no time!!

FYI: take as much paste off first before trying to remove it  with cleaning pad & alcohol. I use a straight edge razor to scrape off the majority of the paste first before I come in with the alcohol pads. You can get it looking like brand new!

If you do, you got to post the results!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I'm using a cheap SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 cooler and an old 450W PSU with my Ryzen 5900X & 1060 and haven't had any problems. I rarely do something that needs a lot of cores though.

One option would be to use the old Windows 10 drive and update to Windows 11 right away. I think that'd be basically a clean install. 

• Like 1

Just now, Grem said:

I would not be able to stop myself from doing it just to see the results of the two different coolers!!

Like abacab said, a little rubbing alcohol and some cleaning pads, (paper towels), would clean that paste off in no time!!

FYI: take as much paste off first before trying to remove it  with cleaning pad & alcohol. I use a straight edge razor to scrape off the majority of the paste first before I come in with the alcohol pads. You can get it looking like brand new!

If you do, you got to post the results!

Yep, just boot to UEFI/BIOS with each, and take a phone pic that shows the idle temp screen. :)

• Like 1