My New Computer Build

cclarry

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

Well PCPartPicker narrows it down to about 500 CPU Coolers...LOL

Tip: Look at the ones with the most review counts... lookout for some with the highest 5 stars, but only 1 or 2 reviews...

Edited by abacab

Well I know that the CPU is designed to run with the stock AMD Wraith Cooler, so if you're not 
"Overclocking" it shouldn't be too big of a deal as long as you're keeping it cool enough.
  If was a tweaker, then it might matter...but I'm not.

The current stock AMD Spire cooler (first picture) is trash tier. This is the box cooler for 5600X.
The older stock AMD Spire cooler had a thicker aluminum puck and a copper vapor chamber.
Then there's the AMD Wraith Prism, which is a decent downdraft cooler that used to come with 3900X.
But neither of them is enough for a 5900X.
The third cooler is just about right for a stock, non overclocked 5600X (it's the cooler I use, bought second hand for 20$)

image.png.766b2735185a968a487b6b5c10c2cf88.pngimage.png.c064b6a9a07643027ad65d73a8cbdabe.pngimage.png.ecbb726ab73bcb540dc76fd9bc149d8f.png

Edited by Cristian

11 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Key Phrase...

If you try to do some overclocking.....

He wasn't overclocking with the stock cooler when the CPU jumped to 90 degrees. He was just running a stress test with a heavy load. His key conclusion, stock cooler not a good idea with this CPU.

But it's your computer, test it and see!

Just trying to be helpful. I've never overclocked a PC in my life.  But I've never skimped on power supplies, fans, and coolers, either. The rest is all up to you! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

After doing some legwork (that I should have done BEFORE ordering) I bought the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4,
which seems to come in at the #1 slot for Air Coolers.  It was on sale for $89 at Newegg, so seemed to be the
right thing to do based on the reviews, and what you guys said.  The sad part is that it would cost me as much
as I paid to send the Vicabo back!  Newegg wants $25 for return shipping, and I only paid $29 for it...so will have
to seriously consider what to do with it, or maybe use it on one of the other PC's, since they will be "Kids" computers
anyways....IDK!  Thanx for alerting me to the cooling issues with the 5900X, as I was not aware of them! I should
have done better homework - shame on me.

13C-001F-00027-S01.jpg

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Newegg wants $25 for return shipping

Yep, I've been burned by Newegg's return policy before. 🙄

I only buy from them now if it's an insanely good deal, or a last resort. First choice is always Amazon now, if they have the product I want. Always free shipping and a liberal return policy just in case...

Another quality company that I occasionally buy from is B&H. They have always done me right!

• Like 1

Just now, abacab said:

Yep, I've been burned by Newegg's return policy before. 🙄

I only buy from them now if it's an insanely good deal, or a last resort. First choice is always Amazon now, if they have the product I want. Always free shipping and a liberal return policy just in case...

Another quality company that I occasionally buy from is B&H. They have always done me right!

I won't use Amazon for anything.

I've bought quite a bit from B&H - they are definitely top notch!

Yep B&H I like to buy my printing supplies. I used local delivery from Staples and they sent the wrong product twice. What a hassle.  B&H once sent the wrong product but told be to do what I want with it and shipped out the right product for expedited delivery.   Now granted it was only Photo paper size they got wrong but still the service was wonderful.  

• Like 1

Where I'm at right now....CPU, Memory, and Vicabo cooler will arrive Monday.
NVMe Mounting will arrive Wednesday, and BeQuiet Dark House Pro will arrive
Wednesday.  Then I start pulling parts that I'm re-using from the old build!
Things have changed a lot since the last build!
2097035834_PCBuild.thumb.jpg.4854ac6e3a3b26c5fe5ba101ecb6b9ad.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abacab said:

Those modular power supplies are a game changer for the home builder! :)

I used an EVGA for my latest build.

Modular Supplies mean a lot better (and easier) routing and configuration, that much is for sure,
and only what you NEED is utilized, leaving a lot less clutter!  I noticed a couple of the videos I 
watched they used EVGA Power Supplies.  The one I have here is 850 Watts, and an 80 Gold Plus.
The case is a cheap case I had in the basement that was never used, and I don't need anything fancy
with flashing lights, bells, and whistles!  I just need it to work!  LOL  Having 9 drive bays won't hurt
since I have a ton of drives I will need to install!  I'm debating whether or not to install the Blue
Ray, as I almost never use it anymore...but will probably install it anyways just because I already
have the space open for it on the front panel.