My New Computer Build

cclarry

On 6/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, rsinger said:

After 8 years there's something to be said for a clean install. Clean registery and so on. Just sayin.

I usually find myself installing less stuff.

I rarely do that.  It seems that W10 will load appropriate drives when you've upgraded major parts.   

Edited by Paul Young
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toffo said:

Nice build Lars, you deserve it!

Thanx Toffo!  I don't know if I deserve it or not..but I've been pushing this one for far too long, 
so thought it was time to do it.  I really didn't want to spend the money on a PC, but I probably would 
have spent it on software that would just gather virtual dust, so might as well give the dust a new place
to live first!  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Thanx Toffo!  I don't know if I deserve it or not..but I've been pushing this one for far too long, 
so thought it was time to do it.  I really didn't want to spend the money on a PC, but I probably would 
have spent it on software that would just gather virtual dust, so might as well give the dust a new place
to live first!  LOL!

And now you will be able to look down at all the folks complaining about whatever plugins being CPU "hogs", and say: "whatcha talkin bout, Willis?". :)

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, cclarry said:

Well...I've gotten about 8 years out of my current FX-8300 system, which is pretty dang good,
but it's starting to get a bit flakey, so I figured it's time to upgrade.  Here's what I'm going
to:

Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 Ghz
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WI-FI AMD Socket X570 AM4 ATX M.2 Desktop Motherboard
VICABO WINDWALKER F06 CPU Cooler Dual Fan Heatsink Radiator ARGB High Performance CPU Air Cooler, 6 CDC Heatpipes,
Silicon Power 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) 288-Pin XPOWER Turbine RGB DDR4 SDRAM Desktop Memory

A little over $600 for everything.  I couldn't touch an R9 prebuilt for anything close to that price.

Everything else will carry over from the old system.  I'll use my current Graphics card until I can upgrade that. 
I just bought an NVMe 2 Tb Drive for this reason, because I knew my system was "on the edge", and I have enough
hard drives and SSD's to complete the build.  The REALLY SUCKY part will be "reinstalling everything", which
is always a PITA.  I will clone my OS Drive to the 2 TB NVMe, and hopefully that will "Ease the pain"!
I figure I should be good for another 5 years.

Good luck homie , had to re install stuff on the new laptop i have ,... really a pain , that said it was the occassion to down size stuff i didn t 8nstalled everything ...

one thing is a pain is presets and customisation in various soft ...

Bon courage oncle L

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zo said:

had to re install stuff on the new laptop i have ,... really a pain

I can understand the issue with a laptop. Not always easy to swap a drive from the old computer. Much easier with a DIY desktop! :)

I once destroyed an Acer laptop trying to access the hard drive bay. The knuckleheads that designed that unit forgot to put a drive bay door on the bottom, so it required the user to remove the keyboard and ribbon cables to access the drive. That didn't end well... and I have DIY built/upgraded quite a few desktop PC's with 100% success.

Note: I had better luck with a Dell Latitude laptop. Just took a few small screws from the bottom, and the drive is right there! Designed to be user accessible!

The cooler is the only part that doesn't quite fit, everything else has great specs.
R9 5900X can get pretty hot and that cooler looks like it's made for a lower TDP.
For air coolers, something beefier like Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15 would keep the CPU cooler.
But you have the hardware and if it works, it works.

Edited by Cristian

11 minutes ago, Cristian said:

The cooler is the only part that doesn't quite fit, everything else has great specs.
R9 5900X can get pretty hot and that cooler looks like it's made for a lower TDP.
For air coolers, something beefier like Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15 would keep the CPU cooler.
But you have the hardware and if it works, it works.

Motherboard arrived, and I had a Computer Case in the basement, so installed the Power Supply
and Motherboard in that.  When everything else arrives I'll just drop them into their locations and
be ready to rock with little to no downtime.  The Cooler that I bought is a dual fan - 6 Heatpipe cooler,
and if that doesn't do the job I'll upgrade it.  I have ZERO intentions of overclocking anything, so shouldn't
be an issue, but only time will tell.
13C-00HS-00003-S07.jpg

Unfortunately AMD's Zen3 and Intel's gen 11 & 12 CPUs run a lot hotter than their previous generations.
I'm actually undervolting my own 5600X, and even so I had to replace the stock box cooler with a 4 heatpipe cooler.
With the stock cooler and undervolted it was reaching 90°C and throttling during intensive tasks (like compiling large programs).

The six heatpipes on that cooler are just right, but it looks like the surface area of the fins is tight and encased in plastic, which keeps heat in.

Certainly test it first before getting something  else, it might just be an overabundance of caution on my side.

Edited by Cristian
  • Like 1

Just for reference, the recommended CPU coolers for the R9-5900X are available at PCPartPicker > PC Builder. Just select your CPU, then the CPU cooler list will return recommendations for that wattage. I always use this site to double-check my build lists for any potential compatibility issues, and to help find components at a good price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Anyway, have fun with your new build! :)

Edited by abacab