APD Deal - Ujam Virtual Guitarist Amber

cclarry

43 minutes ago, fret_man said:

If I already have all the OrangeTree and AmpleSound and NI acoustic instruments, is there a good reason to get this, too? What does it offer that the others don't? 

I'd say, nope. Unless you are a completist with bottomless disposable income. 😳

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fret_man said:

If I already have all the OrangeTree and AmpleSound and NI acoustic instruments, is there a good reason to get this, too? What does it offer that the others don't? 

I see it as:

The style is made by you when it comes to Ample Sound

The style is pre-made by Ujam.

• Like 2

I see this as still a version 1 UJAM virtual guitar, and the v1 guitar is a more limited feature set. I am comparing this to my VG-Sparkle which was my first UJAM product.

Wait for v2, like the basses are at now, as well as the newer guitars such as VG-Iron2 and VG-Carbon. For V2, UJAM has added an instrument mode in addition to the virtual player mode, plus MIDI drag and drop for the phrase patterns. Plus a few other enhancements to the FX, such as the "Finisher".

• 2 weeks later...

It's completely subjective, and I realize that not everyone is looking at this at the same level-- and this plugin is now dirt cheap -- but as a long time user of guitar sample libraries and someone who's consulted to several guitar sample library developers,  I find the Ujam Virtual Guitarist plugins extremely limited and also the fact that the loops are played in such a precise, no feel, manner, makes them sound really inauthentic for anything except a production where you're looking for robotic sounding rhythm guitar.  I think NI's loop based strumming libraries do a better job. Just my thoughts. I'd be very interested in other's takes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

It's completely subjective, and I realize that not everyone is looking at this at the same level-- and this plugin is now dirt cheap -- but as a long time user of guitar sample libraries and someone who's consulted to several guitar sample library developers,  I find the Ujam Virtual Guitarist plugins extremely limited and also the fact that the loops are played in such a precise, no feel, manner, makes them sound really inauthentic for anything except a production where you're looking for robotic sounding rhythm guitar.  I think NI's loop based strumming libraries do a better job. Just my thoughts. I'd be very interested in other's takes. 

Probably better to take that $23.20 and put it towards one of Greg's Orange Tree Evolution guitars, that are now approaching the 60% discount in the current group buy! And I am saying this as an owner of several UJAM guitars... I like the UJAM basses, but so far not totally crazy about their guitars.

So at 60% off, you could have the Evolution Songwriter acoustic guitar for $107.40.  https://www.orangetreesamples.com/group-buy

I have 2 Orange Tree guitars and they come with many strum patterns, plus you can create your own patterns and save them as user presets. :)

Example of factory strums in Evolution Songwriter:

OT-Evolution-Songwriter-Strum-Patterns.jpg

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

@abacab , absolutely. Orange Tree Samples are the most realistic and thorough virtual guitars on the market. I own three of the Ujam Vurtual Guitarist plugins (I still have a Steinberg Virtual Guitarist plugin software and the box it came in!). But I think even for a loop based virtual guitar, Ujam's Virtual Guitarist line misses the mark. NI Session's line is a far better option if you're looking purely at loop based guitar libraries,  because the performance is a lot less robotic and it's far more versatile.  Bit yes, Orange Tree Evolution guitar libraries are at another level, but they also cost more than the Ujam Virtual Guitarist plugins. 

As you mentioned,  in addition to the preset patterns, you can create your own patterns or play in real time using the autochord translator from keyboard to guitar chords (I pushed hard for that feature) and strumming keyswitch (I tend to use thar option the most).  I'm no killer player in my old age due to physical limitations,  but the realism you get from variations, IMO, is incredibly significant (as compared to sticking with preset patterns). 

9 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Interestingly, Ujam’s Silk allows for a melody and bass line, while Amber apparently doesn’t. 

Yes, Amber seems to have a similar UI to Sparkle, which I do have. You would be limited to just the patterns in that case. Unlike the new v2 guitar UI's in Carbon and Iron 2, which have separate instrument (melody) and player (strum) modes.

While NI Strummed Acoustic is $99 full MSRP, you are also just limited to the patterns. Which is why I have to recommend Orange Tree guitars for providing a fully playable virtual guitar instrument, that also includes strum and chord modes for us keyboard guitarists!!! :)