Orange Tree Samples 2022 Group Buy - Now At 60% OFF [ENDED]

Greg Schlaepfer

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's a great choice! And I paired it with the Evolution Rock Standard electric.  https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/evolution-rock-standard

"Evolution Rock Standard extensively reproduces the sound of an iconic electric guitar that holds a central role in the history of rock music. These guitars have continued in popularity through the decades, featuring in countless landmark recordings and performances."

"Its dual humbucker pickups provide bold mid frequencies, supplying ample presence for crunchy and high-gain tones as well as generous warmth for clean tones."

If I had to trim my sample libraries down to only two guitar libraries, it would definitely be Evolution Songwriter and Evolution Rock Standard. I love the tone of those two and I've always been in love with Les Pauls. For electric bass, Evolution Flatwound  with the James Jamerson preset being my go to much of the time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

For electric bass, Evolution Flatwound  with the James Jamerson preset being my go to much of the time. 

For bass, I am all over the place! I have the Ample Sound acoustic upright and 5-string electric, most of the UJAM basses, MODO Bass, and Toontrack EZbass. That sort of just happened. I even have a Fender P-bass in the closet...  :)

I don't doubt that OT has some fine basses, but I'm not in the bass market at the moment...

1 hour ago, abacab said:

For bass, I am all over the place! I have the Ample Sound acoustic upright and 5-string electric, most of the UJAM basses, MODO Bass, and Toontrack EZbass. That sort of just happened. I even have a Fender P-bass in the closet...  :)

I don't doubt that OT has some fine basses, but I'm not in the bass market at the moment...

When I was doing that desert island guitar and bass list, I was thinking about my go tos for my other main instruments. Drums (the instrument I played semi-professionally for two decades; piano and organ were my first; I took some guitar lessons, but never got good at it and with tendonitis, while I own three guitars, I couldn't even try to play them for a minute without pain. the keyboard is much easier -- with regard to pain -- for me) are the hardest instrument for me to narrow down to one sample library, but I think I'd pick a library I don't think I've ever seen anyone praise, NI's Studio Drummer. I'd largely choose it because the rock kit in there sounds a lot like the way I tuned my drum kit back in the day. (I still have two Tama acoustic drum kits in my basement and two Roland electronic drum kits) as well as a few synths and rack mounts from back in the day. (90s and one 88 key midi keyboard from the 00s) .  For acoustic piano, I'd pick NI's Noire. OT's Rosewood Grand cuts through a rock mix A LOT BETTER, however, when I'm just sitting down playing piano, Noire is the most inspiring piano library I've  ever played, although I sometimes need to replace it to cut through a mix.

For a Rhodes, there's no question, The Famous E. I grew up with a Wurly in our house and I am in love with them. It's one of the instruments I've been begging Greg to sample for a long time! I have a few detailed sampled Wurly's but I don't really love any of them. I think Greg could do leaps and bounds better. I'm not sure which of the ones I own is best. When I did "I Am the Walrus" I think I actually used the Wurly samples in NI's Factory library, believe it or not. I tried everything with distortion and the Leslie speaker effect (as a kid, we also had a Leslie at our house, as my mother was a music teacher and working musician) and it sounded closer to the original recorded electric piano on Walrus than any of the other libraries.

Is anyone with me that the world needs a great, detailed sampled Wurlitzer electric piano that is on par with The Famous E? That would be ideal. I am in love with both the Rhodes and the Wurly, but I grew up with a Wurly in my childhood home and it has enormous sentimental value to me.  So that gets me to my Orange Tree Samples wish list: (1) Hofner bass sample library and (2) Wurlitzer electric piano. I know that the first one is in the works, and I can't wait. But I don't think there are any plans for a Wurlitzer electric piano library -- so I might have to start a petition! (I'm serious, if anyone is on board, I'll put it together). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

For acoustic piano, I'd pick NI's Noire

I acquired the NI Noire with Komplete 13, and it's a fine piano! Have the Famous E for Rhodes, and the IK Hammond B-3x for tonewheel organ.

But you make a great point, still don't have a standout Wurli either, other than a few acceptable substitutes. I was a huge fan of Supertramp back in the day, and I believe the Wurli was a signature sound of theirs.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

I acquired the NI Noire with Komplete 13, and it's a fine piano! Have the Famous E for Rhodes, and the IK Hammond B-3x for tonewheel organ.

But you make a great point, still don't have a standout Wurli either, other than a few acceptable substitutes. I was a huge fan of Supertramp back in the day, and I believe the Wurli was a signature sound of theirs.

I loved Supertramp back in the day too! Friends who rode in my car in my teen years regularly heard vintage Yes, Genesis, The Who, Beatles,  Steely Dan,  Zeppelin,  Supertramp, Rush, ELP, vintage Chicago,  Return to Forever,  Mahavishnu Orchestra,  Jeff Beck...

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

I really don't have a B3 library or plugin that I'd strongly recommend,  so that's another instrument I'd love a better version of.  Would you recommend the IK Hammond B-3x? That sounds like something I'd really appreciate.  Although,  the reality is, while I grew up taking organ lessons,  my playing is so lousy these days I feel like it's a waste of money to invest much, as like you, I have the organs that came with KOMPLETE 13, which are, to be completely frank,  completely meh.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

10 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I really didn't have a B3 that I'd strongly recommend,  so that's another instrument I'd love a better version of.  Would you recommend the IK Hammond B-3x? That sounds like something I'd really appreciate.  Although,  the reality is, while I grew up taking organ lessons,  my playing is so lousy these days I feel like it's a waste of money to invest much, as like you, I have the organs that came with KOMPLETE 13, which are, to be completely frank,  completely meh.  

I've never played a real one, but I will say that IK's Hammond B-3X sounds very good to me and better than any other virtual options I've tried. It's fun to play too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Would you recommend the IK Hammond B-3x

I would say that the B-3X sounds very authentic to my ears, just judging by recordings of it that I have heard, although never had the opportunity to play a real one. And it's got the Leslie emulation on board. :)

And the fact that it's Hammond endorsed may mean something, but YMMV...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abacab said:

You got a bloody right to say it. I looooooved them. And still do. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

You got a bloody right to say it. I looooooved them. And still do. 

And speaking of the need for another Wurli... the only one that I have that even comes close to this tone is the sampled 1974 Wurli in SampleTank 4 MAX.

And for comparison, I also have the AAS Lounge Lizard Session, AIR Velvet 2 , Arturia Wurli V, NI Scarbee A-200, and Waves Electric200.

I'm sure that if Orange Tree can do the Famous E, just imagine what their take on a vintage Wurli would sound like! :)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Fleer said:

As for Supertramp, don’t forget the Harmonium. There’s a pretty good one in Spitfire Neo.

I LOVE harmoniums! I have several, but I wasn't aware of Neo and will check it out.

And if we're talking of slightly off the beaten track instruments sometimes used in rock we love, add Dulcitone, celeste, mandolin, harpsicord, music box,  glockenspiel and vibraphone to my list too. For my fellow Dulcitone fans, I'd recommend checking out Sound Dust's library.

To move this back to some Orange Tree Samples libraries I love, I'd absolutely put the "Tiny Box" music box in that category. It's currently less than $8 USD in the group buy. 
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/tinybox

I LOVE mandolins and the tone and playability of the Evolution Mandolin.  It is my absolute top favorite mandolin library. 
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/evolution-mandolin

I own a bunch of glockenspiel and vibraphone libraries and Pure Jazz Vibes is one of my favs. 
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/pure-jazz-vibes 

I think Evolution Rosewood Grand is an under appreciated grand piano library.  Check out this demo to hear it in action: 
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/audio/BenRawles-ImpossibleChoice.mp3

When I was a kid, my mother, a formally trained  (she went to an excellent music college for classical piano and organ performance) musician and music teacher  worked at music studio with a Steinway and Yamaha grand set up. To my surprise, I was more in love with the Yamaha, as I just liked the tone a little better (this really surprised me as a kid, as Steinway was always seen as the best pianos in the world, so I expected that would be my top choice, but I liked the highs of the tone of the Yamaha; our family had a Baldwin baby grand, and later a Wurlitzer upright, as my mother worked for the Wurlitzer company, and we also had a Wurlitzer electric piano). This piano library is great at cutting through a rock mix and also as a reflective, jazzy or cinematic piano. 
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/evolution-rosewood-grand

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I caved. The libraries sound amazing. So I got Evolution Jumbo 12 and Evolution Infinity. I feel these will add the most value for my style. Got some extra discount with Orange Slices, which made the total $112 for both libraries. Great price.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Well dang, I just pulled slide lap steel, angelic keys and the music box real quick for under $42. The group buy is over but as you know if you bought something during it there's a message on your account that says "Need to buy some more s#!t? Use this code" or along that line. 

So that's the banjo, mandolin, slide lab steel, angelic keys and music box. All so I can shove them through octavers and big muffs like I do everything else in life. Thanks for the deals Greg

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...