XLN Online Installer, AD, and AK Updated

cclarry

1 hour ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

That’s a company that is active on fixes and updates

Actually they are, they constantly have updates.  They're just not big on creating new versions or new product.

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

Wasn't this one of those that installed everything everywhere?

No

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Have checked the vst3 box and installed but the vst2 dll disappeared!!! Tried installing both 2 and 3 and it only installed one or the other! Anybody else seeing this?

vst3 installed and vst2 updated here (i.e. new vst2 dll)

and it's a free update!
Yes XLN Audio updates have been pretty much always been free but how many devs have come out with their VST3 versions, tossed in a handful of bug fixes for their VST2 line, then changed the version # and made it a paid for upgrade?

• Like 6

13 hours ago, fret_man said:

And we get to pick which formats to install. I don't remember having that options before. Wasn't this one of those that installed everything everywhere?

the XLN installer installed the AAX versions, even if you didn't need them.

Also, if you deleted the AAX version files manually, the XLN installer would then deem your XLN installation as needing a repair.  The repair would reinstall the AAX versions.

It looks like that will no longer happen if you deselect the AAX versions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Promidi said:

It looks like that will no longer happen if you deselect the AAX versions.

Very nice! They do not install AAX if you deselect it now! Congrats to XLN, finally! :)

*and thus no "Repair Needed" prompt if AAX is missing!

Here are a couple screen grabs of the new customize options for plugin formats and install paths. The VST3 path is fixed by specs, but the other paths are customizable.

XLN Customize Installation.PNG

XLN Customize Paths.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, locrian said:

Unfortunately we can't choose where to install the VST3 plugins (on Windows).  I always move them into a company-specific folder.

Hopefully they'll make that user-selectable too.

Kinda, love that about VST3 honestly.  I always specify VST2 paths now, but for awhile there, they were installing all over the place.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, locrian said:

Unfortunately we can't choose where to install the VST3 plugins (on Windows).  I always move them into a company-specific folder.

Hopefully they'll make that user-selectable too.

I agree that it should be possible to choose at least the subfolder name in VST3!

But in general I think that the concept of one central VST3 folder is not really a clever idea! For example all those plugins that are bound to one single DAW (like TH3 to CbB), I don't want that the other DAWs include/parse those plugins, because they don't run there anyway! Or I don't want that the audio editors have to parse instrument plugins, it is meaningless! So I really wonder what the Steinberg guys have reflected (nothing)?