Waves Version 14 is Here!

cclarry

11 hours ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I have mixed feelings about this. Strongest about negative is to pay for a number of plug-in fixes… that’s definitely not right. I love quite a few of my waves plug-ins, but, time to replace them with stuff I always own and or similar things that update without wup.

Given WUP is their gravy train, there's really very little incentive for Waves to care about getting the plugins right the first time around.. quite the opposite... They can hurry to release and sell and then care about bug fixes a few years later, essentially double dipping and getting people to pay more than once.

I like all the devs that provide bug fixes at least for as long as they're selling it and that is a very long list of developers with excellent plugins.

1 hour ago, dee said:

WUP will never disappear if studios and rich people will keep pumpin money buying it, simple.

Better get PA plugins, updates free, just stay out of subs and get what you need on sale.

Exactly this. If people stop paying and buying their plugins, WUP would be gone in a few years. Not exactly rocket science.

It's a crap practice and given the plethora of alternative companies that provide ongoing updates for the life of plugins, it's a bit comical people pay it so willingly. That's why I very reluctantly buy anything Waves any more. Instead of paying WUP, I just look to replace it with something from another developer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dee said:

Better get PA plugins, updates free, just stay out of subs and get what you need on sale.

But I can buy what I need on sale with the $200 voucher I get with the Mix & Master subscription. I'm on my 3rd annual subscription ($600 in vouchers on $450 in subscription fees), and now own all the plugins I actually need while having access to their entire Mix & Master catalog of like 100 plugins + anything new they release in that year. And I know what plugins I actually NEED, because I've been using them for a whole year.

On the flip side, I could endlessly waste time scouring sales to buy plugins I've likely never used, or never used for any length of time, likely spending more than $150 a year on crap that'll sit in a plugin folder for eternity, while still not having access to like 100 plugins that cover almost every single thing I could possibly ever need.

The PA subscriptions are a no brainer. Anyone not using them, while still spending $150 a year on plugins that are covered under that subscription is wasting their time and money. They are giving you $200 in product for $150, and a demo of 100 plugins... for a year... to decide what you want to own. It's, without a doubt, the best deal on the market. My annual budget for mix & mastering related plugins is $150 a year. I don't need anything else (in that category) with that subscription. That is insane. There are people who still spend $1000s a year on UAD plugins that have equivalents covered under that subscription. It boggles my mind.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Dirk... is that... you... ? 🤣

I questioned Dirk about the Top Tier Voucher.

The $99 Sub gets you a $149.99 Voucher
The $149 Sub gets you a $199.99 Voucher
The $249 Sub gets you a $249.99 Voucher????

He never responded to the question.

4 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Personally, I know this shouldn't matter, but the PA plugins have never appealed to me because they look like they were made in 2003. 🤷

Many of the Brainworx ones for sure. But some of the new plugs are pretty pretty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Personally, I know this shouldn't matter, but the PA plugins have never appealed to me because they look like they were made in 2003. 🤷

WRONG! Some of them look like they were made in 2004. 😁

Since this is a Waves thread let me add that some of their plugins look like they were made by the War Games sfx unit

• Haha 2