Distorted sound after dropout, highest buffer selected.

Misha

Hi folks.  I asked similar question before, but perhaps rephrasing it will get me going in the right direction.

One of the interfaces that I use for sketches is Apogee One.

Here is the issue;  when I mix a larger project with all kind of  Vsts, I get a *drop out/ Stopped Audio engine" occasionally and that is expected. What is not expected is when "Stopped Audio Engine" occurs, interface output becomes severly distorted. I hear everything through a very loud hiss type noise. It continues  to be like that on stop /play... The only solution that I found is changing buffer on device up OR down, that somehow refreshes the driver and playback resumes normally.

This does not happen with my recording interface of different brand... I mean it might also not handle the VST load and I would get a "Stopped Audio Engine", but it would snap back to normal playback, without me tinkering with buffers or anything else. Just transport Play/Stop will cure it.

Apogee One does not "cure"   by itself.

I have 2 Apogee One units. Same behaviour. I use max  buffers 2048 plus Safe mode is on (I tried with Safe mode off, makes no difference). I patiently waited for driver update for a long time, which finally  came out couple of month ago. It did not solve the issue. Apogee has no desire to look into it.

Any clues how this can be solved without changing buffers back and forth?

Thank you!

while in  a 

Edited by Misha

Some problems really do have simple solutions....

If I was fortunate enough to have two different expensive interfaces, one of which worked properly and one that didn't, I'd ditch the problematic one and use the other.  Simple. Problem solved.

I ain't got time to fiddle - f**k around with s**t that doesn't function properly, especially in light of

5 hours ago, Misha said:

Apogee has no desire to look into it.

F*** them, then. That's my opinion.

But you're a big boy. If you get some kinda charge out of beating your head against the wall then be my guest. Don't let me stop you.

Apogee, like MOTU, is another MAC-centric company for whom Windows is an afterthought.

msmcleod,

Thanks for trying,  but no luck. 

bdickens,

Well... This is pretty cool piece gear which is made well, and has a decent headphone preamp.  It was probably never meant for heavy duty stuff.  However, I believe it should handle heavy projects with "large enough" buffer. This is a secondary interface, so it is not crucial, but I would like to try to find a solution.

------------------

When this tripover happens, it sounds like... listening through shattered glass.  Not  your usual suspects like pops / clicks. I do not experience these .

Attaching a short clip of what it sounds like. Maybe it will give a clue to someone.

P.S. In most cases 2 types of plugins give me that outcome. Izotope and  Lurssen mastering console, but not limited to. Izotope plugs are notorious for overloading system. Lurssen also has similar issues. But these are not the only things that trip Apogee One to that shattering sound mode.

cake.m4a

Can’t help with driver problems but - Lussen is super cpu intense. If you are talking about ozone, it is also a very high cpu plug-in.  I own a few thousand plugins and these two are at the top of the list in cpu usage. I assume you are using these on a master bus in the song.cwp. 

My recommendation is -

1) If you insist on using mastering plugins in the main song file you should freeze all tracks with plugins on them. 

If that does not free enough cpu

2) Export you audio without theses plugins. Then move them to a separate project called (your song)- master. Do your mastering from here and export your final version.  Some people make a master cwp file and load all the songs for a cd into the file. They balance the volume and tone here. 

I use samplitude for this last step. It can be done in cakewalk as well.