Brainworx bx_Oberhausen

hhal9000

Has anyone had experience of using Brainworx's bx_Oberhausen in Cakewalk.For some reason it won't work with my midi Keyboard in Cakewalk. I have no trouble playing it with my keyboard in other DAWs but for some reason it won't play my keyboard in cakewalk. Strangely it will play from my pc keyboard but not my Keystation Mini.Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Have you tried replacing Ober with another synth in the same track just to see if something is not routed correctly in the track?

Tried creating fresh new track from scratch?

Are you using as a simple instrument or are you using a midi track assigned to an audio track? If using a midi track, do you see the midi meter showing activity when you press the keys or turn a controller?

Sorry about so many questions but thats where I would start.

• Like 1

Yes My keyboard is definately working.If I replace the instrument with any other synth it works as usual. And I can even record midi on the track that I have Oberhausen on but it will not play back sound from Oberhausen. Also If I go to the Piano Roll the notes will play back if I mouse over them but if I use the keyboard on those same notes though the notes show they are being played no sound comes out and the red light on Oberhausen does not light up so no midi coming out of it via my key board. Very strange.

Also I am using the simple instrument setting for the track as illustrated:

Oberhausen Track settings.jpg

Edited by hhal9000

2 hours ago, hhal9000 said:

Yes My keyboard is definately working.If I replace the instrument with any other synth it works as usual. And I can even record midi on the track that I have Oberhausen on but it will not play back sound from Oberhausen. Also If I go to the Piano Roll the notes will play back if I mouse over them but if I use the keyboard on those same notes though the notes show they are being played no sound comes out and the red light on Oberhausen does not light up so no midi coming out of it via my key board. Very strange.

Yes indeed, that is very strange! I might speculate that something, somewhere is corrupt.

I would try re-scanning your plugins with a "Reset" in Cakewalk Preferences > VST Settings > Scan Options.

If that doesn't work, try re-installing Cakewalk.

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes indeed, that is very strange! I might speculate that something, somewhere is corrupt.

I would try re-scanning your plugins with a "Reset" in Cakewalk Preferences > VST Settings > Scan Options.

If that doesn't work, try re-installing Cakewalk.

Thanks.Just tryed re-scanning with ''reset'' but no differance.Before I re-install Cakewalk is there any configuration possible in Oberhausen to make sure midi is going to the right place.In Kontact for example sometimes you need to make sure the midi channel is set to Omni.The same for some other instruments.

57 minutes ago, hhal9000 said:

Thanks.Just tryed re-scanning with ''reset'' but no differance.Before I re-install Cakewalk is there any configuration possible in Oberhausen to make sure midi is going to the right place.In Kontact for example sometimes you need to make sure the midi channel is set to Omni.The same for some other instruments.

Ober has few settings. Much simpler that a multi-timbral, multi-output synth like Kontakt.

But there is a on/off bypass button at the top left of the Ober UI that must be enabled to hear it play. Did you check that?

Oberhausen-UI-annotated.png

Edited by abacab

6 minutes ago, scook said:

What happens if you force the channel to 1 on the track?

Depending on the Workspace the channel drop down may not show up in the track header but is always displayed in the track inspector.

Doesn't seem to make any difference.Thanks. Think I'll try to Re-install Cakewalk.Here is a video showing what happens when I play keys on the midi keyboard and what the meters are showing. The left Hand meter shows a reading and the other one shows nothing

4 minutes ago, hhal9000 said:

Here is a video showing what happens when I play keys on the midi keyboard and what the meters are showing. The left Hand meter shows a reading and the other one shows nothing

That's the same thing that I see when I hit the bypass button inside the plugin.

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

Ober has few settings. Much simpler that a multi-timbral, multi-output synth like Kontakt.

But there is a on/off bypass button at the top left of the Ober UI that must be enabled to hear it play. Did you check that?

Oberhausen-UI-annotated.png

Thanks.Yes I did do that.I have this working in Bitwig  and FL studio but not in Cakewalk so something peculiar to Cakewalk or at least my set up in Cakewalk I would think.

4 minutes ago, hhal9000 said:

Yes I did do that.I have this working in Bitwig  and FL studio but not in Cakewalk so something peculiar to Cakewalk or at least my set up in Cakewalk I would think.

If the plugin is installed on your PC and working there in other DAWs, then I would agree that seems to narrows it down to your Cakewalk setup. But that's a fairly basic plugin and works well in Cakewalk here, so that is definitely not normal.

And Ober seems to be hard coded for MIDI channel 1, as is typical with many single timbre synths. When I try it on any MIDI channel other than omni (none) or ch 1, I get nothing. So if you forced it to ch 1, that should have been sufficient. And your video shows active MIDI data in the channel inspector, so Cakewalk is handling the MIDI. Just not getting it to that plugin for whatever reason...

Edited by abacab

14 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's the same thing that I see when I hit the bypass button inside the plugin.

Yes, this would be the same if the data was coming in on any channel except 1 (instead of ignoring channel info bx_Oberhausen only works on channel 1), the plug-in was bypassed using either the Host Bypass (VST3 only) immediately above the power button in the plug-in UI or the plug-in power button itself or the level in the plug-in or the volume in the track turned all the way down.

What the video shows in MIDI activity in the track inspector but no audio out.

If other synths work in the track but one does not, I would re-install the plug-in before re-install the DAW. Regardless of how the plug-in works outside the DAW. May want to verify the problem exists using both VST2 and VST3 formats. That said, re-install the DAW is certainly something else to try.

5 minutes ago, scook said:

Yes, this would be the same if the data was coming in on any channel except 1 (instead of ignoring channel info bx_Oberhausen only works on channel 1), the plug-in was bypassed using either the Host Bypass (VST3 only) immediately above the power button in the plug-in UI or the plug-in power button itself.

What the video shows in MIDI activity in the track inspector but no audio out.

If other synths work in the track but one does not, I would re-install the plug-in before re-install the DAW. Regardless of how the plug-in works outside the DAW. That said, re-install the DAW is certainly something else to try.

Ok.I'll try the plugin first.Thanks

Well I have re-installed the plugin and then re-installed Cakewalk but the problem persists. I have found a simple work around though and that is to create an ''Instrument Track per Output with stereo Outputs''.This works while the ''Simple Instrument Track'' option in The Insert Soft Synths Options still does not(for bx Oberhausen that is).

19 minutes ago, hhal9000 said:

Well I have re-installed the plugin and then re-installed Cakewalk but the problem persists. I have found a simple work around though and that is to create an ''Instrument Track per Output with stereo Outputs''.This works while the ''Simple Instrument Track'' option in The Insert Soft Synths Options still does not(for bx Oberhausen that is).

The difference between ''Instrument Track per Output with stereo Outputs'' and ''Simple Instrument Track'' is the channel is forced to 1 (Instrument per-track assigns channel outputs sequentially) in the former and the channel is set to None in the latter.

This indicates the issue is the controller sending MIDI notes on a channel other than 1.

You can verify this after recording, opening the track in the Event List looking at the channel column or select the notes and look at the channel in the Event Inspector.

But if that was the case why is that when I swap the Oberhausen for another instrument on the same track(in this case track 1 but could be any track) I get to hear the instrument.The problem is only with that instrument using the simple instrument settings.

8 minutes ago, hhal9000 said:

But if that was the case why is that when I swap the Oberhausen for another instrument on the same track(in this case track 1 but could be any track) I get to hear the instrument.The problem is only with that instrument using the simple instrument settings.

So, you are saying you have verified the data in the track is on channel 1?

I may be getting confused between Track and data to be honest.Anyhow here is a screen shot of the same track.First with recorded midi from Oberhausen which won't play back sound, then the identical same track but with Oberhausen swapped out for Monique.In the second case(ie with Monique) I have sound.All the other data looks identical to me.

Screenshot oberhausen.jpg