Old Yamaha RX-7 drum machine and Cakewalk cannot keep it together

Eve Ripper

I was trying to record this old drum machine. But something is going wrong.

1. I’ve set it to midi sync with Cakewalk as a master clock. All right, it gets start command.

2. I’ve touched drum map in PRV and could hear notes from drum machine.  So in PRV everything is fine. For example I would program drums in DAW and would like to record incoming signal from RX.

3. I hit play and record - and no audio signal on audio track. After I press stop- I can hear some midi echo maybe. I hear previous midi hits. I’ve tried to disable sync. So I still can’t hear my programmed drums. Only midi echo after stopping playback.

What can it be?

http://www.polynominal.com/site/studio/gear/sold/yamaha_rx7/yamaha-rx7-manual.pdf - here's manual.

On page 34 - I've set Ch message one

job 2 - set to recieve voices on channel 1.

page 38 - Sync with MIDI.

These are the settings that i have.

I had tried to use drum machine in Reaper. Everything's almost fine. It plays notes that are in piano roll and plays my sequences that are in Drum machine memory.

Edited by Eve Ripper

Wow! I had one of those exact same models!! Those were fun to program!

A couple of suggestions:

1) Recording from the RX-7 will definitely "date" your music. It will make the whole track sound dated.

2) The MIDI mapping may be different in CW. Try clicking each "note" you plan on using in CW and see if that is the instrument you want played from the DM. You may have to create your own mapping to make sure the "notes" match up in the drum machine and in CW.

Just curious, why are you wanting to use a DM instead of creating drums directly in CW? It's much faster, easier, and forget about making corrections later on. Hands down it's better in CW where you have a visual of where everything is.

7 hours ago, razor7music said:

Wow! I had one of those exact same models!! Those were fun to program!

A couple of suggestions:

1) Recording from the RX-7 will definitely "date" your music. It will make the whole track sound dated.

2) The MIDI mapping may be different in CW. Try clicking each "note" you plan on using in CW and see if that is the instrument you want played from the DM. You may have to create your own mapping to make sure the "notes" match up in the drum machine and in CW.

Just curious, why are you wanting to use a DM instead of creating drums directly in CW? It's much faster, easier, and forget about making corrections later on. Hands down it's better in CW where you have a visual of where everything is.

1)I know. It will be layered and modified (I write some industrial music).

2)there’s no problem in mapping. I can play all the notes in PRV. But I can’t play the sequence.

3)Because I would like to use it live then. Of course I make drums in CW with other samplers. But on one track I would like to use real drum machine)

Edited by Eve Ripper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fogle622 said:

The RX-7 has a 5 pin din MIDI out jack, doesn't it?  Does your computer have a 5 pin MIDI in jack or are you using a MIDI to USB convertor cable?

What activity are you seeing on the MIDI activity monitor when you hit play?

Clipboard01.jpg

Yes it has MIDI OUT, MIDI IN. I have Roland Duo Capture EX UA. I'll check soon monitor activity.