Staff fast editing

Maxim Yanchenko

Am I the only one who misses the staff editing system from the classical Cakewalk (before Sonar)?

There, you could enter notes blazingly fast, using mouse to place notes and computer keyboard to control duration: numbers for different durations (1 for wholes, 2 for halves, 4 for quarters, 8 for eights, 6 for 16th, 3 to 32th), plus '.' to make a note dotted and 't' for triples. Almost everything (except triples) could be done on the numeric keyboard.

They completely broke it in Sonar where you use mouse for everything making Staff essentially unusable in any productive way, because you have to jump with mouse between staff and duration buttons. That's why I always kept the classical Cakewalk from the 90s installed, to write the score fast.

BandLab, is there any chance you could bring it back, as an option, maybe?

If yes, maybe you could add a couple more keyboard shortcuts: '+' and '-' to decrease/increase the duration for the new notes by a factor of 2 (i.e. if you're  currently entering 8ths, '+' would change it to 16th and '-' would change it to 4th).

Thanks!

There is no binding to turn on/off triple and dotted, I would need to map each of them one by one (4th triple, 8th triplet etc). Otherwise it works.

So Bandlab, could you please consider adding a key binding to switch the current triplet and dotted mode on/off, the same as the mouse does?

And, maybe, add that increase/decrease duration keybindings?

7 minutes ago, Maxim Yanchenko said:

There is no binding to turn on/off triple and dotted, I would need to map each of them one by one (4th triple, 8th triplet etc). Otherwise it works.

Yea, the CTRL and ALT +num keys are available for binding too.

I make these suggestions so that you can have something today.

If you wish to wait for the developers to revert binding changes they made decades ago is your choice.