Piano Roll Tempo Change

fret_man

Starting a new piano roll question instead of hijacking the other one....

I want to halve the tempo but double the note duration all the MIDi notes. That is, I started (and finished) constructing the song using 1/4 and 1/8 notes using a very fast tempo but I should have used 1/8 and 1/16 notes at half the tempo. The time duration of the notes will be the same. The song will play back the same either way but, logically, it should be updated to the new tempo. What is the easiest way to do that?

Thx!

41 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Starting a new piano roll question instead of hijacking the other one....

I want to halve the tempo but double the note duration all the MIDi notes. That is, I started (and finished) constructing the song using 1/4 and 1/8 notes using a very fast tempo but I should have used 1/8 and 1/16 notes at half the tempo. The time duration of the notes will be the same. The song will play back the same either way but, logically, it should be updated to the new tempo. What is the easiest way to do that?

Thx!

Interesting question. Sounds like a job for a CAL script. I have nothing specific in mind, but perhaps somebody has one?

- Snap the Now time to the the start of measure = Current Tempo + 1,

- Shift+M to open the Set Measure/Beat At Now dialog.

- Enter. Target Tempo + 1 as the Measure, Beat 1, and OK.

CbB will change the initial tempo and adjust the start times and durations so the playback timing is unchanged. Note that it will also insert the new tempo at the Measure that you Set which you might want to delete just tp prevent any future confusion if you decide to make other tempo changes later.

The easiest way would be to stretch the MIDI clip to 50%, then change your tempo.

CTRL + SHIFT enables the stretch tool, then just drag the right edge until it reaches 50%:

MIdiClipStretch50pc.gif

Alternatively,  just select all your MIDI clips then from the main menu Process->Length,  check Start Times & Durations, set to 50%, and uncheck "Stretch Audio".

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Do any of these also change the CC timing?

Process -> Length certainly does,  and it'll do any articulations, and track envelopes (if selected) as well.

The stretch tool only does notes + CC's, and not track envelopes.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:28 AM, fret_man said:

I started (and finished) constructing the song using 1/4 and 1/8 notes using a very fast tempo but I should have used 1/8 and 1/16 notes at half the tempo.

I just wanted to say that I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who does this from time to time.

It's good to get some easy solutions for it. I'd just leave them as they are, but I like to use tempo-sync'd FX and arp's that then run at the wrong speed either double or half, depending on which way I got it wrong).