Tokyo Groove Jyoshi

bitflipper

Just discovered these gals, and it's surprisingly addictive stuff. Cheese und Krackers, that bass player! All this is live. Well-recorded but not subsequently sweetened. The drummer's got pipes, too.

It's bugging me that I can't identify the bottom keyboard...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

It's bugging me that I can't identify the bottom keyboard...

First of all, I've always had an affinity for Asian ladies (especially Japanese), so I'm enjoying that video in about all ways possible!  (Boy are they good too!)

As for that bottom keyboard, it's a Roland RD700!  Check out about 1:08 into the video.

img_6522.jpg

10 hours ago, craigb said:

...I've always had an affinity for Asian ladies...

Me, too. I was married to one for 40 years. I just didn't want to be the first to point out how cute these ladies are. I'm sure they'd rather be acknowledged as musicians first, which I do. Which I surely do. But a sexy musician is way more interesting than, say, a sexy movie actress, which may explain why Susan Tedeschi makes my pupils dilate.

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:
14 hours ago, craigb said:

...I've always had an affinity for Asian ladies...

Me, too. I was married to one for 40 years.

I think this band is pretty good too, recorded live, Fanny

The group was founded by guitarist June Millington and her sister, bassist Jean, who had been playing music together since they moved from the Philippines to California in the early 1960s.

Edited by Jesse Screed

Wow, this actually is really good.

But you guys are somehow talking about something else lol. 

Anyways, great find. I have heard of good things about the Jazz stuff from there but personally didn't know much.

I have had online jam sessions with other random but fairly or very skilled Japanese people online in the past so the video reminds me of these and these good vibes.

I have never had a great desire to travel out of country - but the one exception would be Japan. Would love to travel there. Plus Keiko Matsui is one of the best.

Edited by RBH

5 hours ago, RBH said:

I have never had a great desire to travel out of country - but the one exception would be Japan. Would love to travel there. Plus Keiko Matsui is one of the best.

Now THAT'S one lady I have all her albums of!

It's my go-to when it's cold outside and I've got a fire going in the fireplace. 😉

13 hours ago, RBH said:

Keiko Matsui is one of the best

Absolutely. Although sometimes she takes off into realms my brain cannot keep up with. Here she is 20 years ago, when she was still mostly down here in the realm of mortals.

• Like 1

While we're on the topic of keyboard gymnastics and stuff to challenge your brain...

This bassist might not be an Asian cutie, but sheesh, he's certainly in the same league musically. His fingers keep up even when my brain can't.

• Like 1