The Spaces Between - Updated

jwnicholson78

On 7/13/2022 at 1:57 PM, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

Yeah I don't think I could have done it when my kids were younger and hold down a  full time job too. Mine are at Uni / College now  and I can generally do two tracks per week depending on how busy my day job is, but back in the day it would take me the same amount of time as it takes you now.  This is why I often harp on about DAW workflow in some of the threads because when you work to deadlines every minute counts and when you use it pretty much day in day out you get a much better idea of it's strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not sure it would be usable in it's current form, one of the unwritten rules is " no foley " ..which means no sound effects that are not musical parts and you have a fair few going.  You could always bounce another mix without them. That transition around 36s is a bit clunky so you'd probbaly want to smooth that out and make it more musical. Those tranistions are often used as edit point when cutting to picture so some sort of rise & hit type sound usually works best  ( like a reverse cymal swelling in the forward playing cymbal for example .

If you send it to a bonefide sync library you'll need to be a member of a PRO ( Ascap / BMI in the US  ) as the mebership number goes with the metadata and is how they know who to pay royalties to. There aren't really any that would take a one off track as it's not worth the Admin to onboard a new writer for one track, most want 4 or 5 or some want a full album. 

There is a lower tier of libraries that don't really deal a whole bunch with broadcast, they are more for content creators to get music from..corporate videos, Youtubers etc. You don't necessarily have to join a PRO to submit music to these places as they aren't really supplying TV shows so there are no royalties, you just get a share of the revenue that someone paid to use your track in their Youtube channel or whatever.  If you wanted to try one of those places like Audiosparx, AudioJungle, Pond5 will probably let you sign up and put a single track up. Be warned though that one track is a bit of a needle in a haystack and you need a volume of material in any library before it will likely start getting used.

More excellent comments and suggestions.  Thanks so much for taking the time to detail your experience.

I don't think any of my songs are ready for prime time yet, including this one.  Plus I spent so much time on it, I'm sick of it now and ready to move on, even though it's not perfect.  I do like the idea of continuing to practice and get better and build up a body of work so that once my kids also go off to university and I have more time, submitting stuff to libraries is something I could think more seriously about.

• Like 1