The Spaces Between - Updated

jwnicholson78

I seem to be inspired recently by the music in video games that I've been playing. I started this after finishing "The Outer Wilds", one of the best games I have played in a long time. It's another in the general theme of spacey music I've been writing.  Comments and feedback on how to improve it are greatly appreciated.

Updated 7-9, I lowered the levels of some of the sound effects and adjusted the mix slightly.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 7

On 6/18/2022 at 7:48 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

Wonderful. The spacey ear candy (and then the birds!) all fitting into that nice chord progression and a clean mix. And it wasn't overly long - a great 3:30 that didn't overstay its welcome . . . a pleasure to listen to, well done!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks so much, Tom.  Really appreciate the comment!

16 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Nice!

Have you tried approaching Library Music companies or tried to get into TV music production?  I think you'd fit right in there.

Great job.

Thanks!  I've never thought my little tunes were good for much more than keeping me entertained.  I'm kind of curious to look into Library Music companies now that you've brought it up, though.

• Great Idea 1

Really nice piece that. The only change I'd make would be to make the "sonar pings" quieter, and maybe have them in a heavy yet subtle reverb that pans across the sound stage, if that makes sense, but that of course is a personal preference.

I could certainly learn a thing or two from you about mixing! 👍

Edited by Keith Wilby
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 5:38 AM, Keith Wilby said:

Really nice piece that. The only change I'd make would be to make the "sonar pings" quieter, and maybe have them in a heavy yet subtle reverb that pans across the sound stage, if that makes sense, but that of course is a personal preference.

I could certainly learn a thing or two from you about mixing! 👍

Thanks for the listen and the kind words.  I agree with you about the sonar pings, and some of the other sound affects.  I need to go back and adjust some of the levels.

• Like 1

Great track, really like the musical content and overall sound design.   You have a very recognizable style musically.   

The only thing I heard that I would change is maybe change some of the intro sonar pings to another sound or change some of the tonality to mix it up in the intro?  I would maybe use a Hang Drum on a few of the hits.     I know you are going for a spacey type intro but the sonar pings to my ears are a bit on the annoying side and maybe distract from the music.    Obviously it is a personal taste thing and other people may like that sound so take it with a grain of salt as intended.

That said, a minor thing on an otherwise flawless track.    On my 3rd listen and digging it a lot.

Regards

• Like 1

I agree with the comments above.  This is a most pleasant piece and you mix sounds great to these old ears.  I also like that "jangley" guitar -- it has a sound similar to that used on the theme song for the television show called "Due South".  Jangley guitars and birds at the end --- how cool!!

• Like 1