Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty cover

Busker Pete

4 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Great job. 

On a personal level I find it a bit reverb heavy, but that's just my preference.

Are you playing the sax in this?

Thanks for your comments!

I have just started using Baby Audio's Crystalline reverb (which I love) so I may have gone a bit too far with it!

The sax was actually recorded from a keyboard, edited as midi and then used to trigger the Native Instruments Kontakt  Factory Library alto sax. I am still looking for the perfect virtual sax which I think is the most difficult instrument to emulate.  A real sax player would of course be best...

2 hours ago, Busker Pete said:

Thanks for your comments!

I have just started using Baby Audio's Crystalline reverb (which I love) so I may have gone a bit too far with it!

The sax was actually recorded from a keyboard, edited as midi and then used to trigger the Native Instruments Kontakt  Factory Library alto sax. I am still looking for the perfect virtual sax which I think is the most difficult instrument to emulate.  A real sax player would of course be best...

I was going to ask you about the sax as well. At times it sounds like a harmonica, other times like a sax....I guess it's a hard instrument to recreate electronically.

• Like 2

Great job, I'd personally bring the vocals down a little - it seems too above everything else IMO. But great job!

Lastly, Cliff Richard(one of my favorites) and Gerry Rafferty seem to be somewhat anonymous, but have some great songs to their names!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, Busker Pete said:

Here is a cover I made of this Gerry Rafferty classic, hope I did it justice...

https://youtu.be/CbfMqP_eRf4

Loved it.  Gerry had a great voice and yours sounds a lot like his.  I would have preferred a drier vocal, but it still sounded fantastic.  Long ago, we recorded at a studio in Montserrat, and I found a fan letter someone had written to Gerry Rafferty in one of the drawers in the villa I was staying in.  He must have recorded down there at one point.

• Like 1

The only things I'd change are the backing vocal in the chorus; bring it up^.
And the solo starting at 3:45; ^^^ that's way to "buried" in the mix.
A good effort, so 👍's here.
Midi Sax is a "tough sell", I guess it can be done, I've failed on every attempt...
I'd give you a "7+", (maybe that's too harsh, because "average", is in general pretty bad)

👏

t

and just a heads up, hit "share" at YT, "copy" and then Ctrl+v here at the forum

• Thanks 1

Good job on this, I didn't mind the verb on the vox. I'm impressed with the sax, I suspected it was MIDI because you can definitely tell but - compared to some I've heard (not to mention my own dismal efforts at midi sax) - it sounded pretty good.

👍

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a very good cover.  I agree the sax has a little harmonica sound to it in various parts of the song but I think that's charming myself.

Several people on the Band-in-a-Box and MIDI Guitar forums use a breath controller in addition to their normal controller. A breathe controller will help you add MIDI expression.   Most saxophone players learn to control the sound of their instrument by changing how hard their mouth clamps down on the mouthpiece, how hard they breath and by using their tongue against the mouthpiece.

• Thanks 1