Don't Lie Down

Douglas Kirby

Hi Everybody,

This is a brand new track I just finished up for the album "The Westerly Sessions Volume XI".  On this one, I sang the lead vocal with an AKG C214 - one of my favorite mics. I know everybody's voice is different, but I like the 214 - it works for me. Also, all the lead work on this song is Guitar Rig Pro - I picked it up on sale for $100 last year - it doesn't have as many amps as Amplitude or TH-U - but it does have a huge assortment of fx - so it's fun to use. 

As always, any comments or critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14448917

• Like 2

Always  a fan Doug, so 👍's here overall.

A couple of little crits. There's some "hash" in the track at times and I think its a bit too much distortion on the bass?
Much prefer the tone on the guitar in the left can in the second verse to the overly "woman toned" main riff; but that's just me.
(reminds me of Clapton's strat "tone" post the red 335 days; he pretty much sucks the life out of everything; again that's just the PAF lover in me...)

t

• Like 1

Cool faded guitar at the very end. Vocals were great, guitars sounded way better than I remember Guitar Rig being capable of, so very nicely done mixing those guitars! I suppose this is baked into an album format already? But if not, you might get a bit more drum programming variety going during the sung verses, that pattern became quite static.

I also agree, that AKG C214 is a keeper, your vocals sounded great!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Always  a fan Doug, so 👍's here overall.

A couple of little crits. There's some "hash" in the track at times and I think its a bit too much distortion on the bass?
Much prefer the tone on the guitar in the left can in the second verse to the overly "woman toned" main riff; but that's just me.
(reminds me of Clapton's strat "tone" post the red 335 days; he pretty much sucks the life out of everything; again that's just the PAF lover in me...)

t

Hi Tom - I remixed a new version bearing in mind your critiques - I think the hash you were referring to was Guitar Rig - so I applied the Sonitus Gate on the lead parts to limit the noise. Also, I made some changes to the bass track as well.

Regarding Clapton tones - for some reason this one made me think of the lead tone in "Strange Brew" - perhaps because of the SG - just what I hear anyway.

Thanks for listening - I always appreciate your ears.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Cool faded guitar at the very end. Vocals were great, guitars sounded way better than I remember Guitar Rig being capable of, so very nicely done mixing those guitars! I suppose this is baked into an album format already? But if not, you might get a bit more drum programming variety going during the sung verses, that pattern became quite static.

I also agree, that AKG C214 is a keeper, your vocals sounded great!

cheers,

-Tom

Hit Tom - I was going to add a tambourine on the 2nd verse for some variety, but for some reason the drum map wouldn't show Flex 2, only Flex 1. I used Flex 1 for the cowbell on the solo section.  I guess the AD2 kit I used on this one didn't have a Flex 2 - if that makes sense.

Yes, I like the C214 a lot - I think it is just a bit better than the AT4040 for my voice, but it is close.

Nice one indeed! It has a really addictive riff throughout, a good vocal hook and some nice harmonies!  Your right, Guitar Rig has more in the way of Fx but being a Fender guy I picked up one of the Amplitude Fender packs and have been "goofing" around with it. 

Enjoyed it!!

• Like 1

I'm going to be a little harsh here, but don't take it badly. I only want to help.

The 'funky drummer' of the Fairfax I imagine to be in time and spot on, right? but the guitars feel a bit off time throughout the mix. It feels like the drums and guitar are in competition for the beat.  Could this be a latency problem? Are you recording at zero latency?

If I were you, I would practise to perfection strumming with the funky drummer before laying down a new mix.  Get that upstroke/downstroke working like clockwork and then you'll have a tight track.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, freddy j said:

Nice one indeed! It has a really addictive riff throughout, a good vocal hook and some nice harmonies!  Your right, Guitar Rig has more in the way of Fx but being a Fender guy I picked up one of the Amplitude Fender packs and have been "goofing" around with it. 

Enjoyed it!!

Thanks Freddy - the Fender amps in Amplitude are excellent - in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I'm going to be a little harsh here, but don't take it badly. I only want to help.

The 'funky drummer' of the Fairfax I imagine to be in time and spot on, right? but the guitars feel a bit off time throughout the mix. It feels like the drums and guitar are in competition for the beat.  Could this be a latency problem? Are you recording at zero latency?

If I were you, I would practise to perfection strumming with the funky drummer before laying down a new mix.  Get that upstroke/downstroke working like clockwork and then you'll have a tight track.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the crits Philip - I wish I could afford to hire a session drummer - lol.  You're probably right in that I should do a better job on the rhythm guitar.  Thanks for giving my song a listen. By the way, I do record with low latency, but not zero - I'll have to check to see exactly what it is.

10 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Sounds nice here, I missed earlier because their is some ******* stuff flying around here at The 4077, I liked this.

Guitar Rig pro 5 or 6?

Thanks Wookiee - glad you liked it.  It's Guitar Rig Pro 6 - I purchased it last Black Friday for half price - not a bad deal - I'm still learning and exploring it.

• Thanks 1

DK

this tune makes me feel like I'm in a smokey bar down by Turkey Creek

It is June, it is sultry

the Wild Turkey is half price

there is a brisk southmind

the boys are having a smoke beside the Chevy

the ladies are doing their thang on the other side

and then the guitar solo kicks in and

the sky erupts before us all

NICE, best one yet

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

DK

this tune makes me feel like I'm in a smokey bar down by Turkey Creek

It is June, it is sultry

the Wild Turkey is half price

there is a brisk southmind

the boys are having a smoke beside the Chevy

the ladies are doing their thang on the other side

and then the guitar solo kicks in and

the sky erupts before us all

NICE, best one yet

Thanks for giving this one a listen Jesse.