Mass Copy Paste of Many Tracks in a Section

chamlin

Has to be a better way than my process. The goal is to duplicate all the background vocals in a chorus to fly them into the next chorus. Within each track there are multiple takes (lanes) blending into each other.

How I've been doing it is crazy. Each track, I expand the take lanes to double what I've used. I then Control Shift (copy) and drag all the clips to the open lanes. Then I slide them to the next chorus section. But I do this for each track. Utter silliness.

I suppose I can just duplicate the track, then delete all unneeded clips, then slide the clips to the new chorus, then move them to the "real" track. But that's almost as crazy, AND, moving multiple lanes between tracks never seems to fall right into separate lanes when I do it.

What's the obvious way to do this that I'm missing???

As a temporary solution while arranging and mixing, I would Bounce to Tracks all the BGV into 1 clip and copy/paste that. You would then mute or archive the original BGV tracks until you need to work on them again.
If the Bounced clip is where you want it, sound-wise, it could even be permanent.

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. I assume that when you move the chorus later in the same, all the clips will be in the same tracks...yes?

If I understand you correctly, it seems this would be the simplest option:

1. Select All, then drag across the timeline for the section containing the chorus.
  2. Right-click on a clip, choose Split, then choose Split at Selection.
  3. Shift-click the tracks with the chorus, then Ctrl+Drag to the spot in the second chorus where the clips should be.

Does that do it?

I often use six or eight BG Vox, and sometimes use the same section on different parts of the timeline. If any individual track has lanes, I comp that track and render it. So I only have to copy and paste tracks, and don't have to worry about moving take lanes. I understand the impulse to keep all options open, but I try to decide as I go if a track is adequate, and if I think it needs more work I do it as soon as I can. (I hope I understood your question.)

Another consideration...just throwing it out there...will it help the music more to copy the same thing, or to do the new section from scratch so it's not exactly the same? I copy when songwriting, but after the song has taken shape, usually end up replacing most of the parts.