Wong Jian Ming

Cakewalk Activation Error (20)

Ok that indicates that it's not related to the release and is environmental. Nothing has changed with the activation process in over a year.

Which version of windows are you running? It's possible that some windows update impacted this, or for that matter one of the Microsoft, redistributables.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:09 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Which version of windows are you running? It's possible that some windows update impacted this, or for that matter one of the Microsoft, redistributables.

Hey Noel - Same issue here , it happened after I installed Wavelab 11 ( 30 day Trial ) and it updated a bunch of redistributables

Using the rename workaround for the time being.  

17 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Strange. It would be good to find out which redist was damaged. Can you see if this installer helps?

Thanks Noel, I just tried the reditributable installer and the only difference it made was Cakewalk now tells me an update is available too

image.png.a1ca8c6cd56d318b7ffa3987bee17491.png

Thank you for the workaround. I have been using Cakewalk since it came out and this just popped up on my work computer. Tried everything. Renaming the EXE works, but I wonder what is causing the problem. I am going to install the update at home and see if it happens on the computer where I do all my recording.

Hi,
I had the same Cakewalk Activation error.

I tried to rollback, no success.
I installed the newest update again and excluded Cakewalk from beeing checked by defender, no success.
I installed the latest Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Redist_Setup_1.0.0.001, no success.

I renamed Cakewalk.exe to Cakewalk1.exe, success, finally

but the following message popped up,

attached picture

I confirmed private networks and now everything works as usual.
This message never popped up when I made the first three tries.

thank you for this helpful workaround.

Firewall.png

On 7/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, Bernd Seidel said:

but the following message popped up,
I confirmed private networks and now everything works as usual.
This message never popped up when I made the first three tries.

Same here - I think the message only popped up because the program is now called " Cakewalk1.exe"  and the existing firewall rules are for "Cakewalk.exe" 

Anyone who was having this problem please install the latest 2022.06 Update 1 EA that we released.
Even though the error 20 is caused by something completely external to Cakewalk, I've added some defensive code to the application that should prevent it from deactivating the application. (Something was causing the windows API's that read certificates to stop working. and this is what lead to the issue.)

Please check it and report back ASAP if it solves the issue. 

Attn: @Wong Jian Ming @Mark MoreThan-Shaw @Illogistical Resource Dept. @mesabassman @Lombardi

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, Leandro Buares said:

guys, I just renamed the cakewalk.exe file to cakewalk1.exe and it worked perfectly

Captura de Tela (128).png

👍😀🙏🙏🙏✌️🎸🎶