A dropout has stopped the audio engine

Harley Dear

One VST should never be an issue you should definitely see what is going on with the laptop. Turn off wi fi etc. I had one laptop that I had to disable the battery monitor  in device manager but that was Windows XP.  
I have 4 old Laptops kicking around and I still use 3 of them at gigs.

A little Asus netbook 1.8 hz 1 core 4 GB RAM been using it for over 14 years. Sony 2.5 hz duo core 4GB RAM about the same vintage those run W7. Both have SSD drives which makes a huge difference. No internet. 

Im just working on using the 3rd one which is newer(2014)  Acer that sports 2 SSD drives and 8 GB RAM but the keyboard is dead. Not a problem as I use a USB foot switch to control. 

We have a few gigs over the summer so just preparing all my backing tracks. I’m doing a test run of a system that will simplify my need these days for lyrics. In the past the Asus played tracks and Sony laptop ran Power Point. So between songs I had to advance both playlist and lyrics on 2 laptops. 

Solution- Use Vegas Movie Studio to create Karaoke style cheat sheets. It was easier than I thought. Just plunk the stereo track on the timeline and add text by copy paste from my Notepad sheets. I’m even adding count in clues and chords. I highlight the text blue to remind me to turn on my Voice Live pedal. Lots of great tools to help an aging performer stay on cue. 

Best thing is these Movies playback in Win Amp which I’ve always used because it is one of the few playback apps that can stop at end of songs and is easily foot switch controlled.  I can mix wave files and the movies on same playlist so I don’t need to make these movies for every song. Just the brain fart ones. 

Haven’t tried it yet using Cakewalks video display but certainly a potential there. 

As far as needing different mixes I simply export from Cakewalk those as required. I have Export folders called 

Full Mix ( give to band to learn songs) 

Full no vox or guitar ( when I’m alone) 

No Bass ( When I have a bass player) 

You get the idea.  

Edited by John Vere

It looks like latencyMon is indicating a problem.

What is Wdf01000?

The genuine Wdf01000.sys file is a software component of Microsoft Windows Operating System by Microsoft Corporation.
The filename "Wdf01000.sys" reflects a specific major ("01") and minor ("000") version of the Microsoft Windows Kernel-Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) Runtime, which resides in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers". It runs continually in the background as a Windows service. There are both an "in-memory" and an "on-disk" version. Its function can be compared to that of the Common Language Runtime (CLR) for managed code in the .NET Framework. For kernel-mode drivers that are specifically written to use it, it handles Power Management, Plug and Play, and other aspects of the interface between the OS and a device so that they do not have to be written in the driver. Windows Vista included a version by default. Windows XP and later do not; the package installing a KMDF driver requires a "co-installer". If the co-installer's version is newer than the runtime's in-memory or on-disk version, an update and reboot is required.

Check that usb devices are set so they don't power down. Check that your device drivers are up to date. It's not necessarily audio related. 

Edited by rsinger

Windows Laptops can be a real issue with audio systems. Some are just unusable because the bios screws important settings up. My son bought a very powerful Dell laptop for live audio Deejay and Latency monitor declared it unusable. He tried to return it but Dell said it wasn’t broken. It was stuff like your experiencing too. He went and bought a cheap Acer that he’s never had an issue with since. Gave the Dell to his daughter 

14 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

Thanks rsinger. Well, this is a bit weird. I looked up google to see how to check that usb devices are set so they don't power down.

It seems I don't get that option at all 😩image.png.8dbd95f78e82b4a6739738b69867145b.png

Disabled is what you want, so that should be OK. Make sure your usb cables are plugged in completely. It seems odd that a power management/plug and play driver is running.

3 hours ago, rsinger said:

Disabled is what you want, so that should be OK. Make sure your usb cables are plugged in completely. It seems odd that a power management/plug and play driver is running.

He doesn’t know if his is disabled because there seems to be no access to that menu item. You are looking at the example of what the performance settings should look like he posted. The page on left is his settings 

You really don't want to be using the "Balanced" power scheme.

If there's a "High Performance" scheme, use that one - better still, create your own with CPU min & max set to 100%,  and any "turn off device after.." set to never.

I tried to read all the post. I didn’t see where anyone mentioned how much of a problem antivirus programs can be. I have to turn mine completely off to make the computer process my songs smoothly.  Another option is to disable virus scanning on your cakewalk folder. 

On 6/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Max Arwood said:

I tried to read all the post. I didn’t see where anyone mentioned how much of a problem antivirus programs can be. I have to turn mine completely off to make the computer process my songs smoothly.  Another option is to disable virus scanning on your cakewalk folder. 

Mmm...that's an option. How do you disable virus scanning on Cakewalk?

Is there a particular folder, ie. the programme folder or do youi need to include all the folders that have the CWP files etc?

I'm not IT savvy sorry.

Harley

Edited by Harley Dear

On 6/22/2022 at 2:40 AM, msmcleod said:

You really don't want to be using the "Balanced" power scheme.

If there's a "High Performance" scheme, use that one - better still, create your own with CPU min & max set to 100%,  and any "turn off device after.." set to never.

My post was confusing sorry. On the right panel I showed what came up when I used google. It was the google answer that showed 'Balanced' and not my laptop. I run the laptop on 'Performance' I don't get a 'High performance' option, so I guess 'Performance' is the best I can get.

6 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

My post was confusing sorry. On the right panel I showed what came up when I used google. It was the google answer that showed 'Balanced' and not my laptop. I run the laptop on 'Performance' I don't get a 'High performance' option, so I guess 'Performance' is the best I can get.

It wasn’t confusing you did a good job of labeling the pictures it’s just the way people tend to see things differently.

As I said you issue is probably deep with in the BIOS of that machine. I sort of doubt little tweaks will change that much.
If I was in your situation I would try putting a fresh SDD drive in and re install Windows. The drives are under $100 and even if your not a tech savvy person the process is pretty simple these days. 

Upgrade your laptops hard drive 

Purchase a new SSD drive 250 is minimum size.
Also purchase a USB to SATA adapter cable that will be used to transfer your old files from the original drive later. 

Go to Microsoft website and follow instructions to create a Windows 10 or 11 media DVD or USB stick. 

unplug and remove battery for laptop 

Flip over swap out drive  

Replace battery and power cord 

Turn on and follow prompts  

Always run Windows updates a few time it takes a few reboot etc until it will be done 

Now you can re install your software and connect the old drive to transfer you files. Don’t leave that drive connected when you boot up .  

15 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

Mmm...that's an option. How do you disable virus scanning on Cakewalk?

Is there a particular folder, ie. the programme folder or do youi need to include all the folders that have the CWP files etc?

I'm not IT savvy sorry.

Harley

I just turn it completely off when I am in a dense mix. I'm not sure all the programs/files that might get scanned while mixing a song. There was a thread a while back, but I can't seem to locate it. You could disable virus scanning on all folders with Audio and CWP  files. These would probably be the ones that would be accessed the most.

You could just turn it off for a min and see if your song will play without dropouts. If it plays ok you could decide when to turn it off and on or you could turn off audio/cwp folders. I tried just selected folders, but it was not enough for my system, I had to turn it completely off. 

Just a note ** it will turn itself back on**.

Hope you get it all figured out.

Edited by Max Arwood
added the letter "S" and and a carriage return LOL

On 6/22/2022 at 4:01 AM, Lord Tim said:

Thanks Lord Tim, but those didn't get the setting back.  Harley