I Can See Your Light

AndyB01

Here's a new one for you -  been working on and off for around a year on this one. I originally posted a very raw mix of this on Soundcloud (which is the one Tom heard), this is an updated mix of this. It needs something to fill the Middle 8 and the production needs some serious work still, but it's an improvement on the last version so I am generally pleased with how this is coming along.

Unlike many of my recent songs that were built entirely from pre-canned EzKeys tracks, this one is an entirely original composition on which I have used EzKeys as a virtual session pianist (by using the replace midi function) which is why there is the odd discordant bit of piano I need to fix in MIDI edit.

And yes I know I slightly missed the start of the intro (not sure how that happened) and I'll have over-cooked the reverb and delay on the vocals for many ears - but that's kind of how I like them. Although, on reflection, I definitely need to back the delay off a little.

It's a song that really means a lot - but as to why - well that's for me to know and you to ponder.

All mixed and produced in Cakewalk by Bandlab for a change from the other DAW I have been using recently (sshhhh). 🙊

Enjoy!

Andy

p.s. complaints to @emeraldsoul who encouraged me to post this. 😂

26 minutes ago, emeraldsoul said:

yep. killer song.

Hey where are the drums hiding, and the bass? @AndyB01  check the mp3 output or whatever. This render is all vocals and piano, with drums kind of in "bleed" mode.

@emeraldsoul I did say the production needed more work 🤣 - as it goes I have just re-mixed it to lift the drums (they were a bit lost weren't they) and add a bass track so will upload a new version shortly. 

@garybrun thank you for your kind comments and I'm glad you liked it

@bjornpdx some of those chord changes surprised me too but I decided to stick with them - glad we agree it was a good call

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - I really do appreciate it - I have re-mixed a new version on the original link above which adds a bass track, a guitar solo (of sorts - I'm not really happy with it but I didn't have much time) and lifts the drums and keys a bit. 

Andy

7 hours ago, amiller said:

I think I’m hearing pitch correction on the vocals.  If so, maybe back it off a bit.😊

Thanks for the comment. Guilty as charged and yes, I can hear where Melodyne has generated the odd 'Cher Effect'. I'm not brilliant with Melodyne and I do accept that less is more, but I'm not always able to get the effect I want without warping the odd vocal.

I could inflict the uncorrected vocal on you but - trust me on this - you'll be glad I didn't! 🙉

• Haha 3

No comment on the vocal @AndyB01 (well know fact Wookiee singing kills all none Wookiee life forms within a Par Sec) I like this it has a very heartfelt delivery, I am obviously hearing the remix, though you have said it still needs a tweak or three.  Will keep the furry ears on the lookout for such.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 2:28 PM, Wookiee said:

No comment on the vocal @AndyB01 (well know fact Wookiee singing kills all none Wookiee life forms within a Par Sec) I like this it has a very heartfelt delivery, I am obviously hearing the remix, though you have said it still needs a tweak or three.  Will keep the furry ears on the lookout for such.

Ha yes I think my undoctored vocals could achieve similar effects. A mate who really knows his stuff has offered to do a proper mix on this for me, so I'll take him up on that I think and see  what he can do with it.  Thanks very much for the kind words. Time to start working on some more new material now though.

Really good song Andy. Lyrics are real and touching. I could fell them as you sang. I would also get the buddy to see what he could do with the mix. I think the song deserves that. I thought your vocals were good. I didn't notice any Melodyne in them at all. I wasn't looking mind you! I thought you did a very good job.

It's really funny what happened today. I was coming to work and saw a light come through a glass crystal in my truck, shineinng with some really deep reds and yellows and blues, and the thought came to me that it was the person who gave it to me saying hello. They had suffered for so long too. So when I listened to this song, it was special. Thanks Andy.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Grem - inspiration comes from the strangest of places, right?

The story behind this song is nearly 40 years old, still too painful to tell it other than through a lyric and a tune.

Thanks again and to everyone who took time to listen and critique.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
Typo

• 2 weeks later...