Melodyne Region FX Clips Not being created for some clips

Bill Phillips

Question

I need help determining why I can create Melodyne Region FX (RFX) clips for some clips but not others in this project and correct the problem.  I've included a GIF showing creation of a RFX in the NT2A track with T1 soloed. And the RFX clip is added to the Audio folder shown in the Browser. Then I try the same operation on the Vocal track which only has one take lane, but in this case the RFX clip is not created and added to the Audio folder.

Not shown in the GIF, I tried creating Melodyne RFX on each track in the project and got the following results:

1. Bass: No problem. RFX Clip created and Melodyne Editor opened. Used Edit>Undo to delete the RFX.
  2. AcGtrDI (Two Tracks using a single clip): No problem. RFX Clip created and Melodyne Editor opened for both tracks. Used Edit>Undo to delete the RFX.
  3. NT2A: No problem. RFX Clip created and Melodyne Editor opened. Used Edit>Undo to delete the RFX.
  4. BV-1 & BV-2 (Separate Clips): RFX Clip not created and Melodyne Editor doesn't open, Undo RFX not in Edit Menu.
  5. Vocal, Vocal Dup, Harmony Dup L and Harmony Dup R (All used a single clip): RFX Clip not created and Melodyne Editor doesn't open, Undo RFX not in Edit Menu.

The six tracks that I can't create RFX for were all recorded as three takes in a single track. So there may be some property for those clips that prevents creating RFX but I haven't found it. For the mix project I moved the takes to separate tracks.

• The Vocal, Vocal Dup, and Harmony Dup L/R all use the same T1 clip from the recording project.
  • BV-1/2 use the T2 & T3 clips respectively. Note there are actually two clips in the T3 lane.

I'm using Melodyne Studio 5.2.0.006 and I've gotten the same results with Cakewalk 2022.02, EA 28.06.013 and 022

In summary, it's apparently a track/clip problem, not a project problem. I'm able to create Melodyne Region FX on all clips except for those recorded on the Vocal Mic (Items 4 & 5 in the list). So there must be something about them that prevent creation of the RFX. I checked clip properties and don't see anything different about them. Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

zE3OyBd.gif

6 answers to this question

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Things to try:

1.  Turn off the splash screen in Melodyne
2.   Make sure you've got a default algorithm set

You may want to run it as standalone first to do this.

Thanks. Opened Melodyne Studio standalone, turned off the Getting Started splash screen and verified the default algorithm was set to Automatic. I also opened one of the vocal clips that I can't create a RFX for to verify that Melodyne didn't have a problem with the clip. It didn't and opened the clip using the Melodic algorithm.

Closed Melodyne and opened the project in Cakewalk. The problem persist. Melodyne RFX won't open on any of the vocal clips. I also verified that, for the clips where the Melodyne RFX is created and the Melodyne Editor opens, the RFX clip does not appear in the Editor until I click inside the RFX region of the clip in the Track View. That's the same problem others were reporting.

Potential problems I've eliminated:

1. Won't work in tracks sharing a single clip: Not a problem for the two AcGtrDI tracks.
  2. Won't work in tracks with multiple takes: Not a problem for the NT2A track which has 4 takes.
  3. Won't work on tracks with clip automation: Not a problem for the two AcGtrDI tracks.

I'm stuck. The only unique features of the tracks that RFX can't be created for are: (1) They are vocals; and (2) They were all recorded as separate takes in a single track. But I haven't found how that prevents Melodyne RFX from working.

Any other ideas?

2 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Another thing to try. Bounce the clip to clip. Then try it. I have had times were a clip wouldn't work correctly until I bounced it.

Thanks. You're probably right. I'm avoiding that because the clips that don't work are as identical to the ones that do work which makes me think there's a bug that needs to be addressed.  If I have to do that I'll probable use a Standalone Melodyne project ahead of the Cakewalk mix project.

Create a new track exactly like the one in question and try to duplicate the issue in this project and in a new one.

If only happening in one project then could be a corrupt clip or track. This happens to me often when working on long term projects and each issue is unique.

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Create a new track exactly like the one in question and try to duplicate the issue in this project and in a new one.

If only happening in one project then could be a corrupt clip or track. This happens to me often when working on long term projects and each issue is unique.

Will do.  Thanks.