AAS Applied Acoustics Systems Multiphonics CV-1 Modular Synthesizer Plugin

cclarry

It looks underwhelming compared to Cherry and Softube. The Objeq filter looks a nice touch, I always think its a shame there is not a common standard for these modules so you could use an AAS module in Voltage modular or Softube modular and vice versa.

The weakness of the AAS modular seems to be the lack of expandability. There are an amazing amount of modules, both by Cherry and third parties for Voltage modular, that is the big strength of that system (but it can be a money pit even though modules are relativly inexpensive).   

That said I think its a good deal at this price.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

It's probably fine for someone that just wants to check out modular in an easy to use package. Without the risk of entering a money pit! 🤣

I nearly bought it last month at a similar price as a way to get into a manageable modular setup at minimal cost and with little financial downside at this price.
Tried the demo and decided that I don't want the hassle of modular.

1 hour ago, Technostica said:

Tried the demo and decided that I don't want the hassle of modular.

Modular is not really a hassle. It's an open ended world for sound design, if that's your thing.

I first checked out Softube Modular, VCV Rack, & Voltage Modular, then decided that the price point for Voltage was the ticket for me. The Core package comes with tons of modules and presets, so no need to spend another dime until you exhaust the included possibilities. Then there are some inexpensive add-on bundles to expand your imagination with! :)

I like this. Using the generative approach with MULTIPHONICS CV-1

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/applied-acoustics-systems-multiphonics-cv-1

Generative patching

One of the alluring elements of CV-1 is that it’s a standalone, breathing, growing, organic instrument. While many modular users will use their hardware in a conventional way by creating subtractive synth patches (albeit complex in nature), it’s incredibly appealing to use a modular in a generative way. 

This means that the modular itself may create the very notes being triggered, in an entirely randomised way. If this sounds a little haphazard, it can be, but it’s also very plausible to place constraints on the level of generation. By applying these constraints through elements such as quantising modules, the output can be less randomised, and more scalic or sequential. It is also possible to organise patches in such a way that a root note can act as the base for your sequence, meaning that it’s far easier to employ within your production and DAW, if so required. Generative patch creation is the modular equivalent of disappearing down the rabbit hole, and you can find yourself in a time vacuum, while creating a patch of this kind. 

Thankfully, AAS provides a number of generative patches in a preset section. This is not only useful for inclusion in your own music, but also as a point of reverse engineering, in order to discover how patches have been created. As with all modular setups and software, you can go as deep into the process as you like!

• Like 3