Midi Device error with a (1) appended???

Midi device issue: trying to help a friend with this: new Arturia minilab mkii is being seen fine by Device Manager, is registered and activated with Arturia.

... in CbB Preferences it shows up as "Arturia minilab mkii (1)

note the (1)

when clicking Apply he gets a midi device error. ??

can't say that I've seen that before...

Thoughts?

sorry .. .we didn't do a screenshot of the error message....

AFAIK, there are not specific minilab mkii drivers...   I think that windows installs

drivers when the hardware is first connected.   Sort of corroborating that is that Device Manager sees the unit fine,

no exclamation mark.    Our plan  is to use Craig Anderton's batch file that enables Device Manager to REALLY show all the devices,

hidden or not.   We think we'll see a redundant entry.   I know that my friend initially connected the minilab to a hub and subsequently

connected the unit to a non-hub usb port.           Will report back in a day or two.

Rusty

15 hours ago, newdreamstudio said:

sorry .. .we didn't do a screenshot of the error message....

AFAIK, there are not specific minilab mkii drivers...   I think that windows installs

drivers when the hardware is first connected.   Sort of corroborating that is that Device Manager sees the unit fine,

no exclamation mark.    Our plan  is to use Craig Anderton's batch file that enables Device Manager to REALLY show all the devices,

hidden or not.   We think we'll see a redundant entry.   I know that my friend initially connected the minilab to a hub and subsequently

connected the unit to a non-hub usb port.           Will report back in a day or two.

Rusty

This will do it - changing USB ports can cause Windows to treat it as a new device.

To avoid this, I normally always plug the devices in the same ports and ensure I power up my PC with them all plugged in.  The ensures that not only do they keep their device name, but their ordering remains the same ( less important for MIDI Out in CbB, but is important for MIDI in).