Recommend a cheap expression pedal / midi pedal to use with Cakewalk.

Typically guitarist can step on a distortion pedal and go between a clean acoustic sounding part to a distorted one when playing certain tracks. I figure that if everything is being done in Cakewalk, using it like a guitar rig, there must be a way to have some kind of pedal that can interact through Calewalk to toggle effects on and off.

This opens up new possibilities... For example, one could create a clean sound that might sound terrible distorted, or vice versa. Something you could likely never do with real gear (well unless you had a roadie).  

Any ideas about such a thing? Midi pedals, expression pedals?   Perhaps even usb pedals off Amazon?

Thanks!

There are MIDI pedals.

I use a Roland FC-300, I originally used it with a VG-99 and now use it mainly with an SY-1000, but I also use it when I want to control SW.

fc_300_top_main.jpg

The Yamaha MFC10 is popular

mfc10_1200x480_4bd430ab6aa623d353340f776

They're not cheap.

The Behringer FCB-1010 might be the least expensive.

befcb1010.jpg

Keith McMillen has the soft step and 12 step and I'm sure there are plenty more. Google midi foot controller.

If you have a controller/synth with Expression input port then I can recommend this NX-P pedal from Nektar:

https://nektartech.com/np-1_np-2_nx-p/

I just got one, its throw length is on a short side a bit but the MIDI response is very smooth. And it's priced brilliantly cheap. I bought Nektar Impakt GXP series MIDI keyboard, was aiming at a cheaper Nektar keyboard but got this instead for the extra Expression jack and MIDI DIN ports.

Edited by chris.r

You want real cheap there are lots of different programable USB footswictches availlable. I've got a bunch of different brands and styles I use for all sorts of tasks. The one in the picture here used to be around $20 I guess China has raised prices. The best quality is the Stealth https://stealthswitch3.com/  But all can be programed to assign any keystroke to the buttons. Example I have the one shown bellow programed "R" "W" and "Space" for Cakewalk 

512a3fZdrdL._AC_SL1001_.jpg.430d4d170e0a81ac96a7960e68e6519f.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Vere said:

You want real cheap there are lots of different programable USB footswictches availlable. I've got a bunch of different brands and styles I use for all sorts of tasks. The one in the picture here used to be around $20 I guess China has raised prices. The best quality is the Stealth https://stealthswitch3.com/  But all can be programed to assign any keystroke to the buttons. Example I have the one shown bellow programed "R" "W" and "Space" for Cakewalk 

Correct me if I am wrong, those are switches.  

On 6/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, james rector said:

Typically guitarist can step on a distortion pedal and go between a clean acoustic sounding part to a distorted one when playing certain tracks.

It is unclear if by "go between" the OP meant an on/off controller or a continuous controller. 

Edited by User 905133
to add a quote from the OP

Yes the USB foot switch is not midi but depends on the app you’re using they are totally programable for any keystrokes  and some even can do sequence of actions including mouse clicks. The OP asked about them and why I answered as I find them very versatile.
So even if it doesn’t work out for control of a guitar sim they are a handy gadget to own. 

I was figuring there’s the virtual keyboard which might work as a go between somehow 

Edited by John Vere

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 7:32 PM, User 905133 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, those are switches.  

It is unclear if by "go between" the OP meant an on/off controller or a continuous controller. 

Well both surely (if not to expensive), I don't see why a switch could not be used to do that. A toggle between two presets using a switch. One tone is a clean, the other is dirty. But where this could really outshine a combo amp or distortion pedal is how many layers to this there could be to each element.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, chris.r said:

If you have a controller/synth with Expression input port then I can recommend this NX-P pedal from Nektar:

https://nektartech.com/np-1_np-2_nx-p/

I just got one, its throw length is on a short side a bit but the MIDI response is very smooth. And it's priced brilliantly cheap. I bought Nektar Impakt GXP series MIDI keyboard, was aiming at a cheaper Nektar keyboard but got this instead for the extra Expression jack and MIDI DIN ports.

Thanks, those look about right.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:17 PM, John Vere said:

512a3fZdrdL._AC_SL1001_.jpg.430d4d170e0a81ac96a7960e68e6519f.jpg

Yeah I thought about something like this, and use something like joy2keys to make it press about any button. On a side note, might also be cool for pc gaming.

1 hour ago, james rector said:

Yeah I thought about something like this, and use something like joy2keys to make it press about any button. On a side note, might also be cool for pc gaming.

They come with software you use to program them with. The quality of the software varies with quality of brand. The cheapest ones the software came on a mini CD! It barely loaded into W7. The stealth has solid up to date software as well as my x key system.

The Xkey uses a Record function. You set it in record and make your moves with mouse and keyboard and it saves this and when you press that pedal it repeats exactly what you just did. The are designed to be used by factories and machines connected to computers