Reason 12 Upgrade

cclarry

Whoa! That's a fantastic price! Never seen it that low.

The update itself isn't bad. Not that much in it but Mimic is sorta fun and the search is WAY better - it loads as you type instead of having to hit enter at the end. I had upgraded because it was gonna have native M1 compatibility but that keeps being pushed back.

Edited by Luc
  • Sad 1

I upgraded every year from Reason 3 to Reason 6.5.  I was a superfan and used it every day. I bought a lot of supplemental products.  I even went to events in NYC where a Propellerhead guy would demonstrate the upcoming features.  I'd get so excited.  But once they had the Rack Extensions, they moved a lot of the most exciting new stuff there.  They lost me. The new versions didn't seem enough so, for the first time, I put off upgrading, hoping I'd like something better the next year.   After I dropped out for a few years, I got Komplete Ultimate, Omnisphere, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, tons of high-quality effects, etc.  That was that.  Suddenly Reason didn't seem like something I needed anymore.  I had better stuff.  For example, with what I own, I would never use Humana Vocal Ensemble. Probably the same for Pangea. 

Out of nostalgia I signed up for Reason 11+ for $3.  And this sold me on not upgrading.  It was $3 worth spending.

This is the first time since 6.5 where I find myself actually interested.  I love the new Combinator and the new graphics.  I need another sampler like I need a new piano (ie I don't), but Mimic will certainly add more to the list of Combinator patches.  (To be honest, I will mainly use this to horse around with the Combinator presets.)  And of course, by switching now I would have the advances I do value like the Reason Rack, VST loading, Europa, etc

I'm also more interested in EDM and Electronic music now than I ever was before.

They've basically stoked my GAS by lowering the upgrade price from $129 to $70.  Such a deal!

Somebody talk me out of it, please!   😮

32 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I upgraded every year from Reason 3 to Reason 6.5.  I was a superfan and used it every day. I bought a lot of supplemental products.  I even went to events in NYC where a Propellerhead guy would demonstrate the upcoming features.  I'd get so excited.  But once they had the Rack Extensions, they moved a lot of the most exciting new stuff there.  They lost me. The new versions didn't seem enough so, for the first time, I put off upgrading, hoping I'd like something better the next year.   After I dropped out for a few years, I got Komplete Ultimate, Omnisphere, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, tons of high-quality effects, etc.  That was that.  Suddenly Reason didn't seem like something I needed anymore.  I had better stuff.  For example, with what I own, I would never use Humana Vocal Ensemble. Probably the same for Pangea. 

Out of nostalgia I signed up for Reason 11+ for $3.  And this sold me on not upgrading.  It was $3 worth spending.

This is the first time since 6.5 where I find myself actually interested.  I love the new Combinator and the new graphics.  I need another sampler like I need a new piano (ie I don't), but Mimic will certainly add more to the list of Combinator patches.  (To be honest, I will mainly use this to horse around with the Combinator presets.)  And of course, by switching now I would have the advances I do value like the Reason Rack, VST loading, Europa, etc

I'm also more interested in EDM and Electronic music now than I ever was before.

They've basically stoked my GAS by lowering the upgrade price from $129 to $70.  Such a deal!

I guess that’s a great price to use it as a VST inside of another DAW, so at this price you probably won’t regret it

4 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

No. 
Sorry. 

• Haha 1

Also...

I'm such an idiot that I didn't know that Reason 12 came out 9 months ago.  I guess I stopped paying attention.  Checking out videos, etc, I see that some people were disappointed in it because they thought Reason botched the release--it wasn't ready. Lots of bugs.  Since then they have had five updates.  It's currently 12.2.6.  So I pray they've worked out the bugs.  Anybody have it? 

If I had upgraded when it was released, it would have cost $199!  Every upgrade of Reason before that was $129.   A $70 increase!  😡  As a long time fan of the company, I am stunned by this.  Either a bunch of nasty, scuzzy people took over and fired all the nice old staff, or... maybe they want people to sign up for Reason+?  Hmmmm....

This explains the talk of  60% off and  $120 off, which confused me.    $120 off $129 would be $9!  😃.   60% off would be $52.😃

In fact, this deal is around 40% off what the upgrade price used to be,    Still the lowest price ever for a Reason upgrade.  Great deal, particularly for me, as I haven't upgraded since 6,5.   There's a lot of new features. 

Maybe next year they will raise the price of the upgrade to $299, so  we will be able to save $220!

i think this video is excellent.  A really great and honest summary of the history of Reason from early on to where we are today.  Most importantly, what the future looks like.  It's a very sad story from somebody who obviously has loved Reason for a long time. 

But it went up at the end of April, before today's crazy $79 update.    It doesn't look like the price increase on upgrades was successful.  An interesting idea to raise the price by $70 and then put out one of the weakest updates in Reason history.  And release a version that's not ready!  Classy.  This explains what @Fleer meant by this sale being "desperate."   I can't think of any other way to explain it.

Having said this, I may buy it today.  The future of Reason isn't important to me. There's enough in Reason 12 for me to want it.  They've come a long way since 6.5.  I think this is the perfect time for me to buy.   I take the long range view. Maybe there will be some nice features by the time Reason 20 comes along and they'll have a sweet deal like this one!  😃  And if not, there's a lot of abandonware in my computer right now that I love.  As long as it still works...

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

Loved that young lady's video.  It's very spot on. Reason unfortunately requires to much OS drive space once you get into REs.   Mine is over 15gb.  They haven't figured out how to put content on other drives like most developers.

• Like 1

These upgrades used to be $129 list and $79 on sale from resellers until they hiked the it to $199 list last year, as TTF already hinted. 
Hence this $70-ish JRR sale isn’t that remarkable as the list hike was. 

• Like 1