Headphone Mic

TedPiano

Hi All,

Re: Headphone Mic

I’m laid up with a back injury that looks as though it will take quite a long period of recuperation and physiotherapy.

Obviously I still want to get ideas down even in a lying position so I thought maybe a Headphone Mic with an adaptor may be a solution (i.e. to1/4 jack) – and if the ideas are any good redo the vocals later when possible.

So brilliant quality isn’t really necessary but it would be good to have the best that is available.

So if anybody knows of any type of Headphone Mic that may be useable e.g. Gaming Headphones or something similar please let me know.

Thanks

Best

Ed

If its for just for getting ideas down, then I think any old headphone mic should do, but obviously something like a dedicated singing headphone mic designed for live use would be better (like Shure's WH20XLR or PGA31).

However I suspect your singing will be affected more by the fact you're lying down, than the mic quality.

As an alternative to doing the singing yourself, you could maybe try this: https://www.plogue.com/products/alter-ego.html

I used this when I got a chest infection and lost my voice for a while.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could setup a condenser mic with an omni directional polar pattern option. That way you don't have to use a really cheap headphone mic and once you recover, you would have a good mic to use.

Agreed that lying on your back will change your sound. John Lennon laid on his back for a song on Revolution to get a particular sound - FYI.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

As you noted, a gaming headset with mic would work.  I have an inexpensive Logitech usb headset I use for VOIP chats with my brother and listening to YouTube audio.

Another idea is to find a freelance singer at BandLab.  Post a lyric sheet and whatever music you can assemble and see where the branches lead.

Depending on your budget another possibility is to hire a freelance singer.  As an experiment a YouTube channel created a demo song assembled from freelance musicians and a singer for less than $100 US.  The singer was female but a male actor was hired to lipsync to the female's vocal track.  Quite funny and entertaining.  The musicians and female singer were provided with a poorly sung vocal with acoustic guitar backing  MP3 for guidance.  The creator assembled acoustic drums, bass, electric rhythm guitar, keyboard and singer tracks from freelancers over the internet then added his  lead guitar track.  It took less than a week to farm out the job and collect the tracks.  Another week to record his track, edit, mix and publish.  Look this over and see what you think.  Fiverr is the most well know but there are other sites:  https://www.fiverr.com/

I hope your recovery goes well.  As someone that has had two back surgeries and one neck surgery may I offer a little advice?  Listen to your doctor.  Don't do anymore or less physical activity than your doctor suggests.  Most problems originate with not following the doctor's directions.  You can mess up a good surgery months to over a year after the surgery.