Bitwig Announces CLAP

cclarry

8 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yeah. 
Wasn’t there a Chevrolet Nova? Must have sold well in Spain: “no va”. 
And I remember a Belgian chocolate cookie called Spunk. They quickly changed its name to Spink”. 

If I recall correctly the car was originally called the Tri Nova.
According to the story it was a cursed name because Tri Nova translated from Spanish to 3 No Go, a bad luck name.
But according to some sources on the web that's not true because that's a bad Spanish translation (wrong verb for that expression).

Or how about when SaveOn drugs got bought out and changed their name to Osco Drugs (phonetic for terrible or gross drugs).
At least in Southern California it was quickly changed back as hispanic customers (a large % of their business) refused to shop in their renamed stores. 

per Wikipedia:

The name "Osco" did not resonate well with Sav-on's Southern California customer base. American Stores eventually made the decision to change the name of the former Sav-on stores back to Sav-on Drugs. Rumors circulated at the time claiming that the reason for the name change back to ‘Sav-on’ was due to "Osco" having the same pronunciation as the Spanish word "asco" (oss-ko), which means "nausea" or "disgust", a considerable factor within Southern California's heavily Hispanic market. This explanation for the name change was refuted by American Stores.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

They're on the list as interested...

I realize I'm coming off sounding negative, but "interested" (as in checking it out) isn't the same as supporting/adopting.

I remember Noel talking about how most (if not all) features/capabilities of VST3 could have been implemented in VST2.

VHS vs BETA:

BETA had some benefits... but few cared enough to embrace it over the much more popular VHS format.

• Like 1

Fair point!  I assume either that or they want to leverage a standard that's not controlled by a competitor or they see it as having an advantage (Apple silicon compatability?) that is easier to adopt than updating AAX.  Who knows?

Edited by Kevin Perry

This looks cool for deep synth stuff, but what are the benefits for regular old stuff like compressors and EQs? The video basically just shows modulation, which is cool, but not really super useful for everything and it would be annoying to have that extra window for no reason.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I realize I'm coming off sounding negative, but "interested" (as in checking it out) isn't the same as supporting/adopting.

I remember Noel talking about how most (if not all) features/capabilities of VST3 could have been implemented in VST2.

Ron Kuper used to brag that the DX format supported all that stuff years before as well.

I'm worried that CLAP is going to turn into just another format that more people have to support.  AAX and AU aren't going away, and I doubt VST will.  CLAP is going to have to be so much better to even make a dent.

• Like 1

A number of developers don't like VST3, and Steinberg is trying to force people to not use VST2, so that's part of this.  Certain features don't work right in VST3, like with MIDI implementation (there are workarounds but they're not officially supported and not ideal).

If I recall correctly, there is talk of there being some type of wrapper that compiles CLAP plugins into VST3 and AU without any extra work, so it might be even more efficient than having to support both.  I think this was discussed in u-he's subforum at KVR, but I don't have time to search through it all.

1 hour ago, Magic Russ said:

Ron Kuper used to brag that the DX format supported all that stuff years before as well.

I'm worried that CLAP is going to turn into just another format that more people have to support.  AAX and AU aren't going away, and I doubt VST will.  CLAP is going to have to be so much better to even make a dent.

Yeah, I remember Ron saying the same things.

My feelings about CLAP mirror yours.  I think it'll have to be vastly superior to actually take hold.

28 minutes ago, TW5011 said:

I think this was discussed in u-he's subforum at KVR, but I don't have time to search through it all.

I think that the best way to learn the full intent behind this new plugin format is to follow the developer's discussion on KVR. Urs Heckmann of u-he is a very clever fellow, so he has probably already thought of all the issues raised here. I am not as smart as Urs, so I doubt that I can beat him at that game! :)

• Like 1