cclarry

41 minutes ago, abacab said:
  • Arturia 
  • Avid:
  • Cockos 
  • FabFilter
  • Image-Line
  • Presonus

I think it's exciting and an impressive list containing the likes of these companies.  I'd like to see as well iZotope & Waves give a look.  Only downside I can see, like others have stated, is the horrible naming.

4 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

Only downside I can see, like others have stated, is the horrible naming.

If the idea was dreamed up by the German folks, it may not have a negative connotation in non-English slang...

In any case, it would not be a huge challenge to optimize the name.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, abacab said:

Thank you for the lesson.

Some new thing learned today for someone like me that has a bad English. :)

Anyway, to put some of context in the nature of some names used by companies...

Microsoft and Nokia called their phones Nokia Lumia
Lumia in spanish is bitch

Mazda named a car as Laputa that in Spanish is the same that Lumia

And Mitsubishi named a car like Pajero that in Spanish is other sexual word

I mean, naming is difficult, but when a word has different meanings, we tend to look for the dirty name instead of the correct intentionality

Edited by Niky Serrano
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, abacab said:

You should consider that many developers have struggled with implementing the VST3 "standard" in a 100% stable and compatible fashion. They are the ones pushing for this change, not end users or management.

This standard appears to be more MIDI 2.0 and MPE friendly. There are no license fees, and if the development costs to write plugins with this method is the same or cheaper, it's a no-brainer for the business. Stay tuned...

Based on what I'm seeing (from current adopters), those pushing for CLAP are developers pushing the limits of polyphonic parameter modulation.

I'm certainly not against it... but that's not the vast majority of developers and end-users.

Look at MPE support with hardware instruments.  I'm all for it... but many folks use MIDI controllers without channel-aftertouch... let alone polyphonic.

What is Avid going to gain by supporting CLAP?  Keep in mind they never adopted VST as a plugin standard.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

What is Avid going to gain by supporting CLAP?  Keep in mind they never adopted VST as a plugin standard.

I guess professional producers using Avid and Cubase will stick with aax and VST3, as the rest of the world moves ahead. Or not. We'll see... only time will tell how this plays out...

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Terrible name...  (What were they thinking?)

While I have no doubt about the benefits, it's hard to bump an industry standard plugin format.

Bitwig and U-he are the only "major" software/plugin vendors currently onboard.gger companies are going to be reluctant to make a change.

Unless the entire industry adopts "CLAP" (that just sounds wrong), it's over before it's begun.

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niky Serrano said:

Microsoft and Nokia called their phones Nokia Lumia. Lumia in spanish is bitch

Mazda named a car as Laputa that in Spanish is the same that Lumia

And Mitsubishi named a car like Pajero that in Spanish is other sexual word

Even worse, in 2001 Honda were to launch a car named Honda Fitta, which in Swedish means… hm, I’m not even going to tell you. But good luck trying to sell a car with that name there! :)

According to the car magazine Auto Motor & Sport, press releases had already been distributed in Japan with catch phrases such as “Honda Fitta is small on the outside but big once you've entered” and "Honda Fitta is a daily pleasure".

When Honda had been made aware of the implications, the car ended up being called Honda Fit in Japan and Honda Jazz in Europe. And all the brochures that were already printed had to be thrown away. So indeed, there are many languages to consider in world-wide marketing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Wasn’t there a Chevrolet Nova? Must have sold well in Spain: “no va”. 

The Mitsubishi Pajero probably wasn't a big seller either.

(Google translate is your friend if you don't know) 😀

• Like 1

Tried to find out more about CLAP and found others also use CLAP.  I mean they use C-L-A-P as the name/acronym (as opposed to using CLAP the plug-in format):  CLAP (Careworks Learning Apprenticeship Program), Command line parsing with clap, Rust Command Line Argument Parsing (A Better Way With Clap), etc.

At least with VST people they embedded confusion that promoted their company when people didn't know what VST stood for (Virtual Steinberg Technology v. Virtual Studio Technology).   And with F'em, that was an intentional in-your-face reference.

Edited by User 905133
deleted extra lines

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

They SHOULD just take the "L" out of the acronym and call it "CAP",
which even makes a good file extension, but hey, what do I know?

Or replace it with an R as that what VST developers will probably call it anyway.

Might help in the Chinese market too.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Paul Young said:

VST2, 32 bit hasn't died yet.

A very important person with a Ph.D. did a video on a live stream a day or two ago and made it quite clear that VST2 is dead (Experience Neutron 4 by iZotope with its Developer Dr. Cory Goldsmith).