Bitwig Announces CLAP

cclarry

Hello, it's great to see you, as we have an exciting announcement. Together with u‑he, we're happy to introduce CLAP, an open, modern, and free plug-in standard.

Audio plug-ins and host applications like DAWs share a vital mission: to help creators produce audio and make music. CLAP (Clever Audio Plug-in API) brings performance leaps and new possibilities, clarity and support to simplify developer effort, and an open source model that is a safe investment for all.

https://www.bitwig.com/stories/201/

• Like 5

From the u-he announcement. A list of industry players currently eveluating the CLAP standard. Buh-bye Steinberg!!! 🤣

An Invitation to Collaborate and Explore

CLAP does not only exist on paper; there are several ways you can try it out now. See the links below for projects from u-he, Bitwig, and others. Several other industry players are currently evaluating the CLAP standard.

Available From Bitwig, u-he and Others Today:

Open Source Projects Using CLAP:

Companies and Projects to Watch Out For

Following companies and projects are already evaluating CLAP for their host and plug-in software:

• Like 1

Just now, Sander Verstraten said:

I still see just the 1.5.1 beta from April. Is there another one?

I have that beta version installed on my computer too, but I have not news about a new beta
I know that the last compilation was five days ago, but I have not news about other binary
Waiting... 😎

Terrible name...  (What were they thinking?)

While I have no doubt about the benefits, it's hard to bump an industry standard plugin format.

Bitwig and U-he are the only "major" software/plugin vendors currently onboard.

Bigger companies are going to be reluctant to make a change.

Unless the entire industry adopts "CLAP" (that just sounds wrong), it's over before it's begun.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

You should consider that many developers have struggled with implementing the VST3 "standard" in a 100% stable and compatible fashion. They are the ones pushing for this change, not end users or management.

This standard appears to be more MIDI 2.0 and MPE friendly. There are no license fees, and if the development costs to write plugins with this method is the same or cheaper, it's a no-brainer for the business. Stay tuned...

• Like 2