Tap tempo and click and drag tempo

Esteban Villanova

As @Brando indicated, the tempo dialog box with the "Tap Tempo Here" bar still resides in Cakewalk by BandLab. 

Tempo dialog

The Project > Insert Tempo Change command opens the Tempo dialog box. In the Tempo dialog box you can set a new Tempo at a specified point.

Use the following fields to insert a tempo change:

Tempo. Type a new tempo or use the Click here to tap tempo button to tap out a tempo. The Tempo field changes as the tapped tempo varies.

Change the Most Recent Tempo. Applies the tempo changes in the Tempo field to the most recent tempo.

Insert a New Tempo Starting at Time. This option applies the tempo from the Tempo field to a specific starting time.

However, I believe this greatly differs from @Esteban Villanova's suggestion.  That's why I requested more information.  we'll find out when he responds.  Perhaps he was not aware of this feature.

To me this would be a cumbersome procedure if I was wanting to create a project tempo map.

1 hour ago, fogle622 said:

As @Brando indicated, the tempo dialog box with the "Tap Tempo Here" bar still resides in Cakewalk by BandLab. 

However, I believe this greatly differs from @Esteban Villanova's suggestion.  That's why I requested more information.  we'll find out when he responds.  Perhaps he was not aware of this feature.

To me this would be a cumbersome procedure if I was wanting to create a project tempo map.

emmmm……I really hope cakewalk can make the tempo view able to do the following things.6:00 in this video.

actually,make the  transform tool,and move tool available  in tempo view would be nice.

Tempo Warp demo

• Like 1

I like how the narrator stated the problem, matching audio to a tempo when the audio is not recorded to a click.  I assume the daw is Cubase 9.5 as the narrator did not state what version or edition he is using, just that the daw is Cubase.   The video demonstrates a slick and viable solution to a common recording issue.

Some forum users maybe surprised to discover the PG Music daw, RealBand, offers two solutions for this issue.  They are not as elegant as the Cubase solution but provide results that are just as effective. 

For solution one the user listens to a track in real time and taps keys on the keyboard to manually create a tempo map.  Then each track can be selected and adjusted to follow the manually created tempo map.

For solution two the Audio Chord Wizard (ACW) analyzes audio while the audio is imported into a project.  Both tempo and chord maps are automatically generated.  Each map can be manually refined and corrected by the user.  Once the user is satisfied with the results, one or both maps can be applied to all tracks in the song project.  This solution also works with PG Music's premier product, Band-in-a-Box.

I'm reasonably sure CbB has a solution for matching a project to audio created without a click track.  I just don't know what it is because I'm familiar with using PG Music's solution.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I wish you can implement a Record Beats function to record tempo changes in real time by playing beats on a keyboard MIDI controller keys!!! That will basically make a breeze to adjust tempi from digital audio to synchronize it with the measure/beats of a empty MIDI sequence in order to make a MIDI sequence out of a nice syncronized audio file on top effortlessly! 

4 hours ago, Marcelo Quinones said:

I wish you can implement a Record Beats function to record tempo changes in real time by playing beats on a keyboard MIDI controller keys!!!

Record a guide track of MIDI notes played in sync with beats of the audio track, select the clip and choose Process > Fit Improvisation:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=EditingMIDI.40.html

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, Roland-Music said:

Hmm, it is there in the current Version: Tempo Track   +   Tap Tempo

CW-2021-08-10.jpg

Yes but I believe the original post was suggesting a tap tempo button to be visible in the main transport section, perhaps as an addition to the Metronome module.  Unfortunately, @Esteban Villanova never revisited this thread to elaborate.

You didn't mention that Tempo View was replaced by the Tempo Track in version 2021.04 but that is a related tempo feature that was updated.  That would have been a good time to revisit tap tempo.

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

Yes but I believe the original post was suggesting a tap tempo button to be visible in the main transport section, perhaps as an addition to the Metronome module.  Unfortunately, @Esteban Villanova never revisited this thread to elaborate.

You didn't mention that Tempo View was replaced by the Tempo Track in version 2021.04 but that is a related tempo feature that was updated.  That would have been a good time to revisit tap tempo.

Yes, I meant tap tempo in the transport bar, as in REAPER and other DAWs. Also click and drag up to increase tempo and down to slow down, instead of double clicking and typing a number. Sorry for the late reply, better late than never, I guess 😬

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Durn it @Starship Krupa, I completely missed that button!  I hope it was added in the 2101.04 tempo overhaul.

Thank you developers for addressing this issue.  I apologize for overlooking it for so long!

@Esteban Villanova, does adding a tap tempo button to the Tempo Track meet your expectations?

I'm actually mostly using REAPER nowadays but it does look better there IMO. I'd just gotten used to tap to find the perfect tempo and that could mean trying different times. 

• Like 1