Melodyne appears to be creating region but doesn't

Sven

Recently I've seen Melodyne appear to be creating a region in a track on Sonar but then when it's finished I see their editor blank with no musical nodes appearing.   I can go back to track view in Cakewalk and undo it but I'm not sure what would cause this behavior.   It's like it did nothing but tried.

My project has many tracks and uses lots of memory.  Not sure if that's the issue.  I've used Melodyne on other tracks on the same song recently with no problem.  It's almost like it's hit or miss now and I've never seen this behavior before.  

Any thoughts on what could cause this to happen?  

Thanks.

I've got the same problem and can add some details. I have Melodyne Studio 5.2.0.006, the latest version.

I first noticed the problem just after I'd installed the 28.06.0.013 EA. So I guessed that the problem was new in the EA. However, I reverted to 2022.02, but the problem persisted.

I use only the Melodyne RFX and I don't use it often. So this may have been the first time I'd used RFX in 2022.02. So I can't say that RFX ever worked in 2022.02.

When EA 28.06.0.022 became available, I installed that and made the video clip below showing that Creating a Melodyne RFX still doesn't work. 

I'd also posted a video clip and response on the EA 28.06.0.013 about the problem but didn't see it addressed in later responses though I could have missed it.

wjbFYje.gif

Edited by Bill Phillips
Replace video

Since latest Melodyne update, for me it's been a nightmare working with Melodyne.

It crashes CW very often, and when it does, the project won't open afterwards... 😱

As some of you point out too, opening the plugin interface is troublesome and inconsistent.

I already contacted Melodyne support and did send the respective minidump , but haven't heard from them (it's been 1 month since).

So, I've been in touch with Noel, and he is taking a look at the minidumps.

I'm pretty sure this problems started after the Melodyne update, and there is no way to revert to the previous version.

I hope Celemony's support will come with some answers. I'm in the middle of a big project using Melodyne extensively, and it's a nightmare. 

I have spent days working with Melodyne over the last few weeks and I’m all up to date using the early release Cakewalk and the last updated Melodyne which for me was over a month ago. It works smoothly and I never have issues at all. 
First - yes, when you first apply the regional effect and the editor opens,  it is blank. I found all I need to do is click in the middle of the clip I’m editing in track view and the editor will now show the blobs. From then on as I render and then re apply to the next clip it opens correctly. 

I have video about how I use Melodyne. I believe there’s a link to them in my signature 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your helpful replies.  For some reason re-editing the clip in Melodyne didn't  seem to do the trick but a double left-click on it in track view did show the blobs again (wasn't that a movie??).

For whatever reason this has been happening lately, my project performance has sunk low and become unmanageable.  It was fine just a couple of days ago.   I didn't update Melodyne knowingly.   My Bandlab version is usually kept up to date.

This is a Melodyne issue, not a  Cakewalk one?  Someone said they can't go back to an earlier version of Melodyne.  Can't I uninstall my current version and reinstall one that worked last month and possibly resolve this?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

I have spent days working with Melodyne over the last few weeks and I’m all up to date using the early release Cakewalk and the last updated Melodyne which for me was over a month ago. It works smoothly and I never have issues at all. 
First - yes, when you first apply the regional effect and the editor opens,  it is blank. I found all I need to do is click in the middle of the clip I’m editing in track view and the editor will now show the blobs. From then on as I render and then re apply to the next clip it opens correctly. 

I have video about how I use Melodyne. I believe there’s a link to them in my signature 

It's nice to know you don't have a problem and that you're using Melodyne 5.2.0.006, same as me. Any suggestions for me? The GIF in my response can be blown up to full screen if you have trouble seeing it. What am I doing wrong? I don't recall ever having a problem with launching Melodyne RFX before. To me it's pretty intuitive. But I'm capable of really embarrassing pilot errors and would appreciate any help I can get in identifying this one.

a couple of things to do with melodyne - make sure the separations (temp files) folder has adequate space and permissions, and also keep it cleaned up. i have a dedicated folder for separations and transfers. i periodically delete folders on projects i've archived. otherwise it can build up quickly and if melodyne has a quota set, there is (like many programs using file storage and temp memory) it can result in odd behaviors. my setting is 10gb.

e.g. folder

image.png.434a763ef67552b6dff6abfdb7e37697.png

• Thanks 1

Curious if users having the blank screen issue are using 2 monitors.

I just realized for me it's neither Melodyne nor CbB's fault. It's a display issue that only seems to happen when it's used on a 2nd monitor. I have similar issues with other programs.

My system has 2 display drivers, one for the main display and one for the 2nd monitor, which could be a factor.

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

a couple of things to do with melodyne - make sure the separations (temp files) folder has adequate space and permissions, and also keep it cleaned up. i have a dedicated folder for separations and transfers. i periodically delete folders on projects i've archived. otherwise it can build up quickly and if melodyne has a quota set, there is (like many programs using file storage and temp memory) it can result in odd behaviors. my setting is 10gb.

e.g. folder

image.png.434a763ef67552b6dff6abfdb7e37697.png

Thanks. I don't find a Melodyne/Separations folder in any project folders or in the Cakewalk Projects folder but that doesn't seem to be the problem for me. I find Transfer folders in some projects. However, you got me thinking that the problem could be the clip that I'm trying to extract a clip from for Melodyne. I tried creating Melodyne RFX for all the clips in the project. Here's what happened:

1. Bass: No problem. RFX Clip created and Melodyne Editor opened.
  2. AcGtrDI (Two Tracks using a single clip): No problem. RFX Clip created and Melodyne Editor opened for both tracks.
  3. NT2A: No problem. RFX Clip created and Melodyne Editor opened.
  4. BV-1 & BV-2 (Separate Clips): RFX Clip not created and Melodyne Editor doesn't open, Undo RFX not in Edit Menu.
  5. Vocal, Vocal Dup, Harmony Dup L and Harmony Dup R (All used a single clip): RFX Clip not created and Melodyne Editor doesn't open, Undo RFX not in Edit Menu.

In summary, it's apparently a clip problem, not a project problem. I'm able to create Melodyne Region FX on all clips except for those recorded on the Vocal Mic (Items 4 & 5 in the list). So there must be something about them that prevent creation of the RFX. I checked clip properties and don't see anything different about them. Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks. I don't have any clips to bounce. The only RFX clips I've created in this project are the test ones listed in items 1-3 in my list above. Since I don't want to edit those clips, I used Edit>Undo to delete those RFX clips as soon as I created them. I deleted the actual clips created after closing the project. The clips I want to edit are the ones that I can't create Melodyne RFX in.

What ever the fix is to not have to click on the clip to get the blobs to show up, I don't think it lays with the user. It's either Melodyne or Cakewalk.

I have noticed here and there that when I create a region and no blobs show up, if I wait 10-20 seconds or so, they magically appear. I have no idea what it's related to.  I was thinking it might be a long analysis but since they often never show up, I don't know. Being the impatient type I just click on the clip and get on with it.

And I am on the latest release of Editor.

the default for the separations folder is your documents folder (typically on your C:\ drive) 🙂 and if you're using OneDrive etc to sync that, it's a potential spot for file handle conflicts. also and quota restrictions (not likely), or disk space available (possible).

• Thanks 1