Tubes for a Fender Devillle 4x10

Gswitz

Since I replaced all the tubes for the first time, I took the time to check the bias. I followed directions on this video...

I had good success at the beginning. I did exactly as he did. I cranked it all the way up on by pass, measure it, took it off by pass and rolled it back down to 60.

Interestingly, my blue pot has a red dot where I think they think it should be set.

Anyway, I sat back and waited for 20 minutes as described in the video with the amp on, guitar plugged in, volumes all rolled to 0.

Then I started to smell some thing and I got up and walked over. The light on the amp was off. I flipped the amp off.

I checked the fuse and it's blown. Hmmm.

I'll buy a new one tomorrow. I hope I haven't ruined things. 😕

The more I try the more messed up things become. My wife is out of town and I'm playing acoustic!!! bummer!

I found an old fuse and got the amp working again. 🙂

Edited by Gswitz

Got new fuses. Played on it for hours. All is good. Turns out the fuse I put in it last night to get it working was a slow blow 3 Amp. Does that matter? I'm guessing I shouldn't use slow blow since the original was not a slow blow. I have since replaced it with a regular 3 Amp fuse.

I'm glad he mentioned the bit about setting it to 80, because 60 (which means 30mA per tube) is kinda cold. 40mA for a DeVille is right in what I consider to be the sweet spot for idle current, 60%.

Eek, leaving the amp powered up while he's holding his screwdriver and turning and gesturing at the camera.

In most cases, I try not to have both hands working in the amp at the same time, so if I were using this method, with Fender's test point, I'd use a lead with a clip on the test point so that I wouldn't have to hold the meter lead at the same time I've got that screwdriver in there.

Most of the time when an amp is on my bench and it's hot, I have my left hand in my pocket. The shock that kills is the one that goes from hand to hand across the chest.

• Like 3

Interesting. It was closer to 80 when I started and I turned it down a little to get to 60.

I think I'll play with it some and see how it goes. I've got plenty of drive pedals, and with the Rock Crusher, I should be able to drive it plenty hard set at 60. I've been playing it and it sounds fine. 🙂

I'm off to go record one of my favorite Jazz players. He has a friend with a case of fancy guitars and we're descending on his house and recording all afternoon. 🙂 Should be a good time. Wish me luck!

2 hours ago, Gswitz said:

Interesting. It was closer to 80 when I started and I turned it down a little to get to 60.

I think I'll play with it some and see how it goes. I've got plenty of drive pedals, and with the Rock Crusher, I should be able to drive it plenty hard set at 60. I've been playing it and it sounds fine. 🙂

I'm off to go record one of my favorite Jazz players. He has a friend with a case of fancy guitars and we're descending on his house and recording all afternoon. 🙂 Should be a good time. Wish me luck!

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

I like your instructions on saving the files: Command click > save as on the other one.

The 'other one'!! LOL!

I watched the video. Don't know if I like that inlay at the twelfth fret all that much. Looks good, but...

• Like 1