Worth a Watch (if you're a Beatles Fan)

cclarry

On the last video

5:06 All My Lovin'. but there's no one at the drum set! Yet I hear drums...

7:20 Money Can't Buy Me Love the drum set is on a different place!

9:18: Oh, I see. There are TWO drum sets setup there. I wonder why...

11:07: Hmm, looks like that  other drum set belongs to the opening act. Can't quite make out who that is.

14:28 The Pharaohs??

Edited by fret_man

On 6/13/2022 at 7:54 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

You'll see the other drumset around 17:00 on this vid, looks like The Pharaohs to me...

Whoa, looks like The Pharaohs' drummer was playing one of those Trixon Speedfire kits with the "Salvador Dali melting bass drum."

From the day Ivor Arbiter's salesman convinced him to go with Ludwig until the Candlestick Park gig, Ringo only ever played his iconic Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl set. The most iconic drum kit in history.

During the subsequent studio era, he sometimes played a natural maple finish Ludwig kit (although always using the same Jazz Festival snare that came with the Oyster kit), notably seen on the rooftop of Apple Corp.

Yes, I am both a vintage drum and Beatles geek.

For anyone who is into drums, one of my most prized, carry it out of a burning building instruments is my 1959 WFL Barrett Deems snare, which is what the model of Ringo's snare was called before the Ludwig family bought their name back. Even though I consider myself a Slingerland man, I acquired and restored this drum although I have the really really great brass Krupa Sound King snare that came with my vintage Slingy outfit. My Ludwig snares, specifically this one and my Acrolite, are the only ones that sound "right" to me. Thank Hal Blaine, Ringo Starr, John Bonham, and Graeme Edge for that I guess.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yes, I am both a vintage drum and Beatles geek.

So, I'm assuming that you've already watched the Beatles: Get Back [2021 Mini Series]. Great restored footage, including the Apple Corp rooftop scene! :)

Edited by abacab

Just now, abacab said:

I'm assuming that you've already watched the Beatles: Get Back [2021 Mini Series]

Oh heavens yes. Signed up for Disney+ just to watch that, stayed for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It's the only time The Beatles as a group recorded in the studio they built in the basement of the Apple building, so as a studio geek, it was pure pr0n. Every second that was shot in that studio, oh boy. The business of the lads declaring it too live sounding and having Mal (or whoever) bring in panels. Man oh man. Well, look no further than the wallpaper for my Yellow Submarine Cakewalk theme. It's Apple Studios.

I freeze framed several times just to check out the gear.

The Beatles and The Moody Blues and The Beach Boys and Prince's all having built their own studios made it a dream of mine to one day have such a playpen. Since fulfilled, even if it's just my dining room/library.

It's odd that in this lineup, The Beatles and The Moodies each tracked only one album in their bespoke studios. The rest of the recordings were solo projects and acts that were signed to Apple and Threshold. Maybe because by that time the artists had decent home studios. I don't know what became of that basement once they shut the studio down in 1975, but what an adventure it would be to explore that space.

• Like 2