Theme preview: dark, blue, flat, and bold

Starship Krupa

Inspired by the flat buttons in Studio One and Ableton Live, I decided to do a 2-D version of Midnight Blue that also increases the size of the transport and metronome controls (there's a lot of extra button real estate in that module). It also increases the size of the images on a few other Control Bar modules, such as Markers and Mix Recall. Mix Recall gets text on the buttons to relieve my own forgetfulness about which button does what. There's plenty of room on its buttons for text.

Racing Green was originally a flat Tungsten-based theme, before I was seduced by 3-D buttons.

I'm still debating whether the Record button really needs all that visual clutter telling the user what record mode they're in; my suspicion is that most people stick to one recording mode and then know from the behavior if they happen to change it. Even the stock themes' small Transport Modules omit the differentiation between record modes (although it's also debatable whether anyone actually sets their Transport Module to small).

Here is a clip of the Transport Module and a couple of others:

image.thumb.png.1ed3037309c7f2d7e01c48aec41151ce.png

If I start using this and take a shine to it, I'll probably do a similar version of Racing Green.

• Like 2

I've been not following this forum corner for a while. Is there already anything like you posted above but with standard tungsten colors, anywhere? It's getting pretty close to the confire's brilliant concept: 

I wish someone could get that look in a nice clean, flat and subtle-colored (tungsten-ish) skin. Don't know whether it's technically possible, though.

Check out the current state of the Transport Module:

image.png.42f178e3628593034b722ac9914a23ea.png

Inspired by the look of the ones in Ableton Live and Studio One. I'm getting happier and happier with this one as I go along.

What you describe as far as getting this using Tungsten colors is not difficult. This theme starts with Tungsten and uses hue-shifting to get the blue color in place of Tungsten's orange. Then my own Control Bar and iconography tweaks.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

What you describe as far as getting this using Tungsten colors is not difficult...

Easy to say! I don't even have the theme editor installed 😂 I'm trying to avoid the "bottomless well" trap, I guess. But I have patience, will use what's out there already. Y'all guys are doing a great job with such a large selection of skins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Easy to say! I don't even have the theme editor installed 😂 I'm trying to avoid the "bottomless well" trap, I guess. But I have patience, will use what's out there already. Y'all guys are doing a great job with such a large selection of skins.

Patience is certainly a virtue. Go to my themes folder on Dropbox and you'll see a folder named "Tungsten RST." In the folder you will find a version of Tungsten RS that's been updated to use the dark, flat and bold Transport buttons.

I did it while watching Hawkeye. Behold Tungsten RST:

image.png.a0303e86aacddd0df4ef2e6ffe254779.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the latest graphic change from the more stock Cakewalk iconography. Revamped Tools module buttons.

Two goals: make the icons as large as possible for greater legibility (the stock themes' buttons don't use all the pixels), and try to make what's on the Tool button resemble the cursor that you see when you switch to the tool. Ever notice how the Draw Tool's cursors all have the line shapes at the top end of the pencil but the Tools module buttons have the line shapes at the bottom? Also, the Edit buttons look nothing like what you get when you select them. Maybe there's a better choice for the Mute Tool than just the letter "M." How about the usual symbol for "mute?" And what's up with the wrench for the Edit Tool? I've thrown more spanners into the works with the Smart Tool than the Edit Tool. 😄

image.png.bae23617cf68847d85dc48c76058e7a0.png

On 6/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Patience is certainly a virtue. Go to my themes folder on Dropbox and you'll see a folder named "Tungsten RST." In the folder you will find a version of Tungsten RS that's been updated to use the dark, flat and bold Transport buttons.

I did it while watching Hawkeye. Behold Tungsten RST:

image.png.a0303e86aacddd0df4ef2e6ffe254779.png

HERETIC! Someone stop this madman. He's gone too far. The Original Revised Standard Edition of Tungsten is the ONLY WAY

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

one option would be to create the parts using the GB instruments and export the audio - then import into CW - setting your project tempos etc. if using MIDI in BG - export the MIDI as type 0 (all sources in 1 file) and import into CW as that should provide the tempo info as well as the MIDI content. from there, the sky's the limit on instruments for the MIDI source.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:39 AM, chris.r said:

I've been not following this forum corner for a while. Is there already anything like you posted above but with standard tungsten colors, anywhere? It's getting pretty close to the confire's brilliant concept: 

I wish someone could get that look in a nice clean, flat and subtle-colored (tungsten-ish) skin. Don't know whether it's technically possible, though.

• Confused 1